Chapter VII

Chapter VII

Despite the seeming threat posed by David and his employer, weeks went by without any sign of him. Business carried on as usual. Alex currently had been spending his time trying to figure out what it was that was missing from that one technique of his. "Does my weapon have some other ability?" he thought as he walked out of the school's campus. It was Friday after school, and the upcoming weekend was not promising any sort of activity for him. Most of the other Guardians were either taking it easy this weekend or had other plans.

Alex: What to do...

He continued his walk by the canal, deciding to stop by the library to hang out with some friends. "Since the thing with David happened, I feel like I haven't seen any of my other friends. Maybe I should do that."

Once inside, Alex went to the "young adult" section where some more friends were hanging out. An hour passed. Two hours. Not a care in the world, it's easy to forget everything else when with friends. After some time, Richter walked by, raising his hand in greeting.

Richter: Yo. You busy?

Alex closed the book he was reading.

Alex: Not particularly. I was actually about to head out. It's getting late.

Three hours had passed, the sun was beginning to set.

Richter: Well, then let me walk with you. I think I may have found someone of interest.

Alex: Something?

Richter didn't say anything and simply kept looking at him. Alex stared back, wondering what he meant. Standing from the couch he was sitting on, he reached for his bag. Richter still not answering.

Alex: Oh!

Alex realized what he meant. Not wanting to say it out loud around other people, he said bye to his friends and quickly left the library with Richter.

Richter: I happened to run into Elliot when I saw him. Elliot is currently following him. Let's get going.

Richter pulled out his phone to send out a text message. Moments later, a response came back to him. "Currently at Sonora Apartments." the text message read. It was Elliot and looks like he was a couple blocks away from Alex's home.

Alex: Why didn't you text the group chat?

Richter: I wanted to wait until we saw if he was doing anything in particular. No point alerting everyone else if he wasn't doing anything.

Alex: I guess I see what you mean. Still isn't it better to not go in alone?

Richter: That's why you're here. I happened to see you go into the library. Figured I'd get you to join us.

The two began to jog, hoping to catch up to Elliot before they may lose track of him. Alex was never much of an athlete; despite this, they both were able to run all the way to where Elliot was without having to stop or slow down. Elliot saw them approaching and waved to get their attention. Elliot was laying low near a transformer box that was hidden by the walls of two houses. As they got closer, Elliot motioned them to closer and not make any noise.

Elliot: Look over there.

He pointed past the wall towards the apartment complex. It was a small property, but despite that, there were about eight apartment buildings. The buildings were a dark brown color and three stories tall, with about six apartments per floor. The complex stood at the very end of the sidewalk on its side, with empty desert immediately next to it. Not too far from there, you could another neighborhood and shortly past that, the border fence.