Chapter XIV

Chapter XIV

November 27, the day of the Arts and Science festival. With class over, there were about 2 hours left before the festival proper would begin. Alex himself would be participating along the science club, so he had more than one reason for being present. As he headed over to where the science club were setting up some of the experiments they would be showcasing, he ran into Mr. Herrera.

Herrera: How are your club's preparations coming along?

Alex: Smoothly, I guess. But currently still waiting on those gas canisters to be delivered.

One of the experiments was to run gas through a pipe with holes in it that also has a speaker on one end. Once ignited, the flames would pop out through the holes in the pipe and then music would be played, causing the flames to move with the sound, similar to equalizer bars.

Herrera: Then everything should proceed smoothly. We should be ready in a few minutes.

Mr. Herrera pulled out his phone and sent out a message. "Hope everyone's ready." it read. In order get people to stay away from where the battle would be, they planned to make use of that gas delivery and make the excuse that there is a gas leak to keep people away until the "inspection" is taken care of. Fortunately for them, the delivery would be handled by a friend of Mr. Herrera and Officer Torrez, an anima user who decided to stay away from the fighting. Another text came in; "The delivery is almost here. I'm going to begin closing the road". The plan was now in motion and Alex's face became serious. With nothing particularly needing him at the moment, Alex took the chance to leave, mentioning that he was going to go check out the art class displays.

As he approached the school's entrance, Alex caught a glimpse of the other's sprit forms heading there as well. Without even stopping, Alex used Soul Substitute and left his physical body to continue on. Just then, the intercom came on with an announcement.

Intercom: A gas leak was found by the entrance of the school; we ask everybody to avoid the area until the inspection finishes and it is declared as safe.

The students that were preparing the stalls all got up and left, all of them heading to either end of the campus. With the main road closed and nobody by the entrance, they were now able to fight with no issues. And yet, no sign of any activity; no sound, sight, or soul signature. For a few minutes, they all stood perfectly still, weapons at the ready.

???: Good day people!

They all looked around for the source of the voice.

Luis: Up there!

Luis pointed to the roof of the nearby building, there stood Richter alone. Odd that nobody saw him in any way. They all quickly stepped forth from under the ramada's shade.

Alex: What are you doing here?

Richter: What's it look like? I'm here to work.

From behind him, he pulled black carrying case.

Richter: Unfortunately, I can't fight you right now. I need to prepare this thing. However, in the meantime...

Richter snapped his fingers. Geists seemingly began to appear at his call.

Richter: Pretty cool right? Now keep busy.

The group was surrounded by the monsters and were closing in on them.

Herrera: Spread out!

Everyone ran in a separate direction, spreading out the horde of enemies. Not wanting to miss an opportunity, Luis ran in the direction of the library while being chased by Geists. He instead turned his attention to Richter who was standing on the roof. He stopped and quickly turned to see the creatures following him. A large number of Geists with great variety in shape and size. Nevertheless, Luis was focused on getting to Richter and stopping whatever it was that he's doing.