Chapter III

Chapter III

Although still somewhat hesitant, Alex did a bit of experimenting with his new abilities on the walk back home. While letting his body walk, Alex experimented using his spirit form. He noticed that once he was in this form, anyone aside from his own person seemed translucent, like seeing phantoms interacting with stuff from another point in time. Despite that however, vehicles moved along even with their translucent drivers. Letting his body wander just far enough, he could start feeling the effects of the distance from him and his body. He could feel his strength waning, so he decided it would be best to stick close. As he walked by a fence for a water treatment plant, Alex drew one of his swords and swung at it. Although some of the fence was indeed cut, he could still see a translucent image of where it was right before.

He assumed this meant that the fence was not affected in any way in the physical world, and he was right, his body knew what he was thinking and reached out for the fence. He got a clear grip and moved it around, seeing how the translucent image moved in unison. He let go of the fence and kept walking, too hot to just stand around. As he walked away from it, he looked back to notice something; the fence began to slowly fix itself as blue mist-like particles slowly began to form around where the fence used to be. In only a few seconds the fence had repaired itself in the spirit world. Alex kept that in mind and kept walking, now towards the open desert land that was behind the nearby neighborhood. Alex once again drew his weapon, this time making it take the form of a bow, firing a couple of shots at an old wall separating an empty lot from the desert. The old wall crumpled as each of the shots Alex landed seemed to be too much for the old brick wall, crumbling down. Alex stopped for a moment and waited. This time the wall took longer to reassemble itself.

Alex: I see...So the bigger the damage the longer it takes. Makes sense, I guess.

Alex carried on through the sands, finally taking a turn on a road that connected to the desert for some reason, leading him back to his neighborhood. Despite everything being business as usual, Alex could not help but feel as if something could go wrong at any second. Just the knowledge of this invisible threat kept him on edge. He couldn't help but walk much slower than usual. The 10-minute walk from that corner of the block to where his house was now taking almost 30. Alex finally arrived at his home, an average sized house standing just centered enough of the plot to give it both a front and back yard. The driveway led up into a ramada where he then noticed that there were multiple cars, neither one being his dad's as he took it to work outside of the city, staying there for the majority of the week if not more, like a lot of other people living here did.

Family came to visit, mom's side. As he approached the driveway, he noticed his younger brother hanging out with some of his cousins, you could say it was a full house at the moment. Coming in he is greeted by his grandparents, and two aunts; it seemed they were about to start watching a movie. Alex decided to head to his room and cool off for a while after walking around in the heat.

Mom: We're going to go pick up some stuff for lunch, keep an eye on your siblings. Your sister is sleeping in my room, so try to not make too much noise.

Alex: Gotcha.

His sister was only about 4 years old and was clingy to mom, as most kids are. Alex grabbed a cup of water and went to his room, which was across and slightly off from where his room is. Leaving his door open to keep an ear out for his sister, he turned on the small tv he had on his room, lowered the volume, and turned on one of his game consoles. Playing a game was the best way to keep his mind from wandering too much and letting him focus on something else. An hour flew by, younger brother and cousins came back inside to cool off, and surprisingly not a sound from his sister. Alex paused what he was playing, he needed something else to drink so he went to the kitchen and opened a can of soda.