Chapter 4- "Friends"

Nancy just couldn't believe it.

Frank and Joe Hardy in the same Hollywood pizza place as her. She was surprised at first, but that surprise quickly turned into a warm familiar feeling she got whenever she ran into them. It was pleasant, and it reminded her of the last time they had all solved a case together in Hollywood.

As they walked through the crowded aisles of the restaurant, Nancy could feel Frank's presence behind her, and she hoped her face didn't look as red as it felt. She shook her head, which she noticed was significantly less brooding once Frank had talked to her and smiled at her.

She couldn't stop herself from glancing back at him, much like she hadn't been able to stop herself from agreeing to bring them over to their table, even though this was a vacation for her and her friends.

Well, the Hardys are friends. Nancy reasoned with herself. Surely Bess wouldn't be disappointed at the sight of Joe Hardy, but George? Nancy didn't know if she had just ruined their whole vacation.

She quickly realized she was downright staring at Frank now, but he just smiled at her like he had when she had run headfirst into him. God, he was too nice.

Don't run off and find another guy.

Ned's words swirled around in her mind, and she turned away from Frank's gaze, walking quicker to get to their table that felt miles away at this point.

Surely, she had nothing to worry about. Surely neither did Ned. There had been a time when Nancy felt... something for Frank, even she didn't know what it was. And she thought she knew that those feelings were gone once Frank got a girlfriend, and she spent most of her time with Ned.

But now she knew she still thought it was cute when he got tongue tied, or when his face blushed during their conversations, and she wished she was blissfully ignorant of the fact.

Could she still try to be?

Nancy led the Hardy Boys over to their booth, where they found a very surprised Bess and George. She was almost glad at the commotion Bess immediately began to make,

"Joe Hardy!" Bess exclaimed, standing up and planting her hands on the tabletop. Joe grinned at her,

"I should've figured you were here too Bess Marvin" he replied, his tone playful as he plopped into the booth next to her. Bess promptly sat back down, and George looked at Joe with a raised brow,

"You two are joining us?" She asked, mildly astonished once Nancy sat down, and Frank slid in next to her. Nancy briefly glanced at him, quickly noticing how cramped the booth was now, and how close he was sitting to her. She felt her face get hot again and grabbed a menu to bury it in while she willed it to stop.

"If that's okay. This place is just so crowded" Frank said to George, who nodded in understanding. Bess chimed in happily,

"Of course, it's okay! The more friends, the merrier!" Nancy lowered the menu and smiled at Bess. She was relieved the two cousins were alright with the intrusion.

Frank's eyes shifted in Nancy's direction. He was glad she looked more relaxed, and happy as opposed to tense, and sad, but he was still worried about her. Why had she been moving so fast that she lost her bearings and ran into him? Why did she seem so sad when she did? He didn't want to come to any conclusions too fast, and decided he'd better ask her later.

He felt something brush against his hand, which was resting against the cushion of the booth, and glanced down where Nancy's pinky finger was barely touching his. He was also becoming increasingly aware of how close they were sitting to each other. Frank's face blushed as much as Nancy's did, though neither noticed the other, until Nancy looked at him. Her eyebrows scrunched in concern,