Chapter 18- Apartment 10B

Frank paced across the entire amusement park, searching for the entrance, along with Callie. There was a lump in his throat that made it hard to swallow, as he thought of what he was going to say to her. He had had it all planned out that morning, but so much had happened that his original plan was pretty much destroyed. Besides, Callie was more than just a little angry now, that was for sure.

   All that consumed him was guilt, and anxiety, a touch of shame on top. How could he ever have thought that staying with Callie was the right thing to do? Frank knew the only thing he had been thinking about then was himself, and Callie had the right to be furious with him.

   Finally, Frank spotted her. She was leaning against the gift shop wall in the shade, crossing her arms and looking around. They made eye contact, and Frank put his hand up in a wave, before going over to her. Once he stood in front of her, he shoved his hands in his pockets embarrassedly.

   "Hey." He said, his eyes scanning her face. Callie wore a frown, and Frank couldn't tell if it was anger, sadness, or both. Her eyes were also puffy and red from crying, and he felt another pang of guilt in his chest.

   "Did you find Nancy?" Callie asked, bitterness creeping up in her voice. Frank swallowed nervously again, nodding a little,

   "...Yeah. I did." He replied, avoiding her gaze as he did so. When he did look back at her, he noticed her jaw tighten. Callie sniffed a bit, and Frank thought it probably hadn't been that long since she stopped crying.

   "Do you know what I'm going to say?" Her tone was still even, but her voice nearly broke by the time she had finished her sentence.

   "I'm sure I do." Frank said solemnly, and Callie scoffed a bit. He thought that she would find some drink to throw in his face, tell him they were through and storm out of there. That's what he would've expected from Callie. But she didn't just yet, there was silence between them after that. She just stared at him, and Frank thought it'd be better if he didn't say anything else at that moment. Callie broke their eye contact, looking to the side instead of him,

   "Something happened between you two the other day, am I right?" She accused, and Frank exhaled tiredly,

   "Yes."

   "What?" Callie quickly followed up, and Frank felt like he was on trial. He knew he deserved it though, along with a drink in his face. Callie turned to look at him again, eyes boring into him, waiting for an answer,

   "...We kissed." He said, and Callie rolled her eyes in disbelief, throwing her arms from their crossed position. They landed at her sides with a sharp smack,

   "Why, Frank? Why did you string me along like that?" This time her voice did break. Frank's eyes softened as they stared into hers,

   "I thought I was doing the right thing-"

   "The right thing? You told me you loved me, Frank." Callie was sounding angrier with every word, and fresh tears replaced the stains on her cheeks.

   "I know-" Frank tried to get a word in, but Callie wouldn't let him,

   "I fought for you, for us! And you played me." She scolded tearfully. Frank took a step toward her, reaching for her shoulder, but she brushed his hand away.

   "You're right, Callie. I did. I'm sorry. I didn't mean for things to go this way." Frank apologized, sincerity evident in his tone. Callie folded her arms across her chest again, and she didn't speak.

   "I know this doesn't make it right, but there wasn't a moment that I didn't feel bad about what I was doing to you. What I did to you." Callie seemed to relax a bit when he said that, but her eyes still threw daggers in his direction.