Organizing

Rachel

I arrived at the center at eight a.m. to help Mr. Harper with his office. After locking my stuff away, I headed to his office and halted. "Oh, my God." I stepped inside to a complete mess. "What happened in here?"

"Things have been a little hectic," Kyler said.

"A little? It looks like your office threw up paperwork everywhere." I pointed to the scattered papers and stacked folders.

"And that's why I need help."

I blew air past my lips and got to work, cleaning up Kyler's office. Once we gathered everything, I had to organize the folders and ensure the paperwork was in its proper folders. It was a tedious process.

"So, I wanted to apologize for being so short with you the other day," Kyler mentioned.

"Uh, huh." I sorted through papers.

"I took out my frustration and anger on you when you were only trying to help."

I looked up from the folders at Kyler.

"It was wrong, and you didn't deserve it."

"No, I didn't. I get your frustration, but I won't work with someone with two mood swings like Jekyll and Hyde. I don't need whiplash."

Kyler chuckled softly. "Are we good?"

I heaved a sigh. "Yeah. So, what are you going to do about Colby?"

"My pops and Uncle are coming to the center on Monday to meet with Colby and me. I had to pull video footage and document what Colby said. My guess is they'll terminate him."

"I don't understand why Colby would call you a derogatory name. I thought he got on well with everyone."

"That's the problem. Racists put on a good show until you call them out for their behavior. He didn't like the fact that I gave him a task to do after he tried to ask you out." Kyler shrugged.

"Wait. What?"

Kyler looked at me but didn't say a word.

"Did you punish Colby for asking me out on a date?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I found his behavior unprofessional." Kyler shrugged again.

"You understand I can handle myself when guys ask me out, don't you?"

"Yes, but it didn't seem like Colby understood your directness."

"It wouldn't matter if he did or not. Colby isn't my type."

"Oh? So, what is your type, if you don't mind me asking?"

"I haven't figured it out since I have terrible luck with guys."

"What do you mean?"

With each folder, I set it aside once I had organized it. "The past few guys I dated turned out to be king-size jerks. But my ex took the cake. He only dated me because he was trying to make another girl jealous."

"That's not right."

"Nope, and that's why I dumped him. The worst part was I overheard him telling his friends he dated me to get back at his ex."

Kyler knitted his brows in concern.

"So, I've focused on school and applied for this job. I'm hoping it gives me experience for when I graduate. So, what about you?"

"What about me?"

"I shared my bad luck with guys. Why are you using a dating site to meet women?"

Kyler rubbed the back of his neck. "My cousins thought I could use some help with meeting women."