A brewing romance

Rachel

I couldn't believe Kyler had kissed me. Did I imagine that kiss, or did it happen? My mind swirled with questions.

I came into work the next day, put my stuff away, and headed to Kyler's office. I didn't see Kyler when I entered his office.

Then Kyler's door closed. I whipped around. Kyler pulled me to him and crashed his lips into mine. I snaked my arms around his neck and kissed him back. Nope, I didn't imagine that kiss.

We broke from our kiss.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to jump on you when you got here," Kyler said.

I giggled and shrugged. "I don't mind."

Kyler chuckled. He pecked my lips before releasing me and taking a seat at his desk. I sat in front of his desk.

"Okay, we need to contact the hall and confirm the date. I already sent in the deposit." Kyler handed me a piece of paper.

I glanced at it. "Do we know who's working the event?"

"Gabriel Williams-Harper is catering the event. Lex and Paxton Gray are supplying the desserts. We hired a wait staff to serve everyone."

"What about the press?"

"The Oakridge Centennial is covering the charity event with Payton Gray overseeing the article. It will show how crucial fostering and adoption are to the public."

I nodded in response.

"Can you check the schedule and take care of anything we need?"

"Sure."

"Now that we got business out of the way let's talk about us."

My brows lifted in surprise.

Kyler got up from his seat, walked around his desk, and leaned over me, caging me in my chair. He licked his lips. "I would like to take you on a proper date."

I swallowed hard. "Really?"

"Yeah."

"What about work?"

"I can separate work and my personal life."

"What if I disappoint you?"

"I doubt that."

"Are you sure?"

"I've never been more sure of anything in my life."

My breath caught in my throat at Kyler's dominance. There was something exhilarating about it. Then memories of Heath flashed in my mind. My smile faded.

"Rachel?"

I knitted my brows and avoided eye contact.

Kyler placed his finger under my chin and moved my head to face him. "I'm not Heath."

"How did you...."

"Know?"

I nodded.

"I can see it on your face."

I swallowed as my brows furrowed.

Kyler kneeled next to me. "Look at me."

I locked eyes with Kyler.

"I would never use someone I care about. It's not how my folks raised me."

"But you used me to help you with your dates."

"And I was wrong to do that. I apologize."

I saw the sincerity in Kyler's eyes.

"But I'm glad it didn't work out with those dates. It gave me a chance to spend time with you."