Chapter Ten - Sparks Fly

Power's POV

I looked up at the beautiful night sky, lightened up by the many tiny but yet bright stars and the moon that harmlessly shone down, making the forest a little bit more comforting. However, sitting here watching the sky only made me feel even smaller than I already did. So small, so insignificant and such a small existence.

Though somehow I was glad to be spending this time outside, even though I was lost with Clive, Lel and Blaze's friends, Avira and Zeak. I hadn't spent time outside ever since I was ten years old, when everything changed. I couldn't help but wonder, would everything change again? What would happen to Blaze now that I had failed?

Enveloped in my thoughts, I barely noticed when someone lowered themselves and sat down next to me. I turned my head slowly to see Lel with her head lifted up to the sky, I returned my eyes to the sky.

"Don't worry, we'll definitely save Blaze." She reassured me in a whisper, not taking her eyes off the moon.

"I hope so, I can't imagine a life without my brother. I don't know what I would do..." I murmured.

There was a pause before Lel spoke again, I moved to face her when she opened her mouth to speak, ready to listen to everything she was about to say.

"...I was like that once, I loved my sister, I truly did. I still miss her. Maybe my family does too, but I wouldn't know..." She looked at the ground, her face pained. "...They rejected me as a child, you see..."

I was surprised when she said 'rejected me as a child,' why would your family reject you? Didn't being family mean loving each other no matter what? Why would they do that to her? To Lel?

"Oh...Lel, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how hard it must be..." I sympathetically replied, it made me mad that a family could do something to such a cheerful and nice girl. There was no reason why you could abandon your family like that.

Lel lifted her head and my heart skipped a beat as a smile formed across her face, our eyes meeting.

"It is, but it's okay. It's okay as long as I have you, Power."

What?

I stared in shock, wondering if I misheard her. Searching her face, I didn't get any answers, only her cute and innocent smile, free from any malice. Was this really the girl that slit the throats of those demons? I couldn't imagine, that this girl, gazing at me with peaceful eyes could hurt anyone.

I continued to stare at her, finding myself drawn into her beautiful eyes. I let her eyes take my own, all my troubles seemingly floating away when I gazed at her, I felt nothing else mattered at this very moment. Except for what I was feeling, this puzzling feeling I didn't understand that was mixed with pain when I thought of her, her with Blaze... Why did I feel...so sad?

"L-Lel..." I mumbled her name softly, unable to say anything else while she leaned in towards me.

Everything remained silent and not saying anymore, I found myself frozen. I could hear my heart beating fast in my chest as Lel leaned in closer, gently putting her hand on my chest. She tilted her head a little to the side, brown strands of her hair falling past her shoulders.

"Your heart..." She said quietly, her eyes still on me.

"I-I know..." I whispered.

Lel moved her head closer to mine, closing her eyes and I slowly placed my hand on her cheek.

I realized I had no idea what I was doing...What was I thinking? Why wasn't I pulling away? Why was she doing this? She wasn't meant to be doing this, it wasn't right...She liked Blaze, didn't she? I ordered myself to move away, but I didn't, I wouldn't. No, I didn't want this...she didn't like me...she liked Blaze... I knew this, I knew she liked Blaze so why wasn't I...?