Chapter 16: There Is A Big Problem

Asher paid a brief visit to Denim. Awaiting him in his living room, a match was going on. He just stared at the rectangle television blankly with one tapping foot against the floor, awaiting him.

After a while, Denim joined Asher in the living room. His eyebrows raised when he saw it was Asher again.

“I don’t like the way you sounded over the phone. Why are you pestering me? What’s going on? Denim gasped, taking a seat behind him.” His eyes caught the bitter look on Asher, and he rolled his eyes upward and exasperated, as if looking to the heavens for help.

Asher nodded quickly to reply to him. “Denim, we’ve been friends for years and we don’t hide things from each other.” He sighed briefly while Denim watched him with full attention. “You didn’t tell that you’ve been cheating on your wife with Rose!”

“What kind of stupid suspicion is this? I’ve told you to forget about this nasty talk! Who told you I am cheating on Kimberly? I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He defended.

“Denim, I saw what I just sent to you via messenger!”

“You sent something to me via messenger?” Denim repeated. His eyes gazed downwards, to the right, then fluttered back at him. “What did you send to me?”

“Don, have you forgotten that my sister manages that hospital?” He fixed his gazed to Denim’s. “I know Rose is pregnant with you!”

Denim’s heart dropped as he raised his gaze to Asher and brought out his phone from the side of his pocket with a straight mouth. “Look, I don’t know what you’re talking about. I was never in a relationship with Rosemary, so stop guessing, alright? I told you, she only came to visit us at the house!” He warned with an increased pitch in voice.

“So she came visiting you at home and you did not tell me you undressed her while your wife was away? Denim, you’re smarter than this. What got into you? You slept with Rose after marrying Kimberly. You know every secret relationship has an expiration date, right?”

Denim pulled forward with tightening lips. “What do you want from me?”

Asher thought about the issue, taking the advantage of the whole situation. “I want $500,000 in 72 hours or Jack would come knocking on your door with his gun. He’d been saving a bullet for you for years...”

Denim’s jaw dropped with frozen breaths. He never knew Asher would stoop so low. Or maybe he hated him too. They’ve had arguments countless times. Maybe he wanted him dead, too.

“It’s a deal, right?” Asher’s serious face glared.

Denim placed a hand over his mouth and wiped out his beard. He tried to convince him, but the words didn’t come. He just watched Asher in the puzzled state.

“You have my account details, so I’d be expecting. You better tell him yourself or I will.” Asher warned, stood up in anger and walked through the door.

Immediately the door slammed close, Denim’s eyes gazed at Asher’s phone. He left it on the chair he sat on. Asher grabbed it at once, since he had the evidence. He would definitely get rid of it and this would remain a secret, at least for the crucial time.

Later that day, Denim drove to Rose’s house. He had called her earlier and instructed her to meet him at once. Once she packed, he walked up to her from his car and she winded down her car’s window while he joined her in the passenger’s seat.

“What is it?” She asked once he banged on the door. Her eyes searched his for quick answers.

Denim shut his eyes tight and gently exhaled. The pressure was getting too much for him.