CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: INNALILLAHI WA INNA ILAIHI RAJI'UN.

"take this route, do not take any turn. Keep going and you see a huge iron gate in a secluded area, that is light o loves" Lamir explained. I didn't even bother to thank him. I was still annoyed with him for trying to stop me and I knew he was more than willing to withhold that piece of information.

Without wasting time, I put the car to ignition and sped off, relieved to get rid of those pesky guards for a moment. It was only a few times that I got to be all by myself outside the palace, those guards were always clinging to me like I would die without them and I did not like it.

Alim was an exception though, he was the first friend I ever had and I loved him like I loved my own siblings. His mother was also from light o loves, she fell pregnant and refused to abort even when the madam forced her to. she was later ousted out of the brothel and was forced to live on the streets, the father of her child found out about her situation and took her home with him, apparently, he was enamored. His wives didn't take it very well. Alim's mother was mistreated daily by his father's wives until she delivered her baby boy. The wives didn't even spare the little boy, they joined forces and showed her hell on earth. Alim's mother did not like the life her son was living and she didn't want him to grow up like that. She submitted him at the age of four to help at the palace. Alim and I became best friends and eventually, he became my head guard.

After a long drive, the huge iron gate came to view. I was about to drive in when I saw the gate being closed by two large men. The men were sporting the same uniform as the two men from earlier. The gate looked heavy, so I figured I could make it at least half way through before they got to close it . Driving past speed limit, I made it just in time to interrupt them, almost crashing into the gate in the process.

"What the hell is wrong with you? What is this?" A guard approached me furiously, looking like he was ready for a fight. Several men dressed like him were flanking his sides in no time. I stepped out of my car not even bothering to turn off the engine.

"Stand down, he's the prince" I heard someone speak from the crowd and they visibly relaxed. "But what is the prince doing here?" He asked as the crowd parted. The question was directed to me.

"I'm here to have a word with your madam" I deadpanned. I wasn't interested in any form of small talk with any one at that moment, all I wanted was to go in there, get the girl and head back to the palace and face whatever consequence awaited me there. Things didn't look nice, seeing as my father forbade me from going there, but in all I hoped he would understand. Speaking of my father, I had a long list of topics I needed to discuss with him.

"Oh, I'm sorry. You can't go in now, we are making preparations for an impromptu auction right now, so could you maybe come back later after the girl has been claimed?" The man suggested. He talked about auctioning a girl so casually like he was talking about the weather.

"An auction? You're auctioning a girl? How can you even do that?" I asked. The guard rolled his eyes before speaking.

"Yes, your majesty. We're auctioning a girl, and unfortunately, you're not invited. And, yes, we do that here, we're allowed to. So just like I said, I suggest that you leave and come back later, the madam would be free by then" he sounded irritated, like he would rather be anywhere than right there.

"Okay, fine, at least call your madam, let her know I'm here, if she asks that I leave, then I'll go" I spoke calmly,  trying my best to keep my emotions in check. I was only calm on the outside, but inside, I was like a volcano waiting to erupt. If I had my way, I would have strangled the silly man standing in front of me and talking about auctioning a girl like it was nothing. The only restraint I had was the fact that I had no right to interfere in the matters concerning light o loves.