( 五 ) shallow waters

shallow waters.

"FOR YOUR LAST YEAR'S LITERATURE COURSE, you will be doing a big project that will make up a large portion of your overall grade. So, I want you all to take this seriously if you want to graduate."

The teacher continues to speak and you have your hand over your notebook, a pen between your fingers but there's not a single word written on paper between ebony lines. You only pretend to look like any other good ol' productive student so that the teacher never calls on you, and what do you know? Not once have you been called for a random recitation. Perhaps life can be great one way or another.

"Before I go on further about the instruction, first of all, I'd like to inform you all that this project will be done in two's, and I will be the one to assign your partner. So, no, you can't choose."

Huh. It's not so great anymore—not the fact that you can't do this with a friend (because, let's be real, you don't have one), but more of the fact that this is done with another person. You're not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed when you couldn't care less about school.

The chorus of groans around the classroom resonate with your displeasure, but for them, it's most likely because they can't choose to work with their friends. Either way, no one likes the set-up.

"Uhuh, complain all you want. I'm not changing my mind." The teacher nods along with the students' noises before clapping her hands. "Enough. I'll be explaining the instructions now. For your last year's Literature course, you will be creating a written piece based on your partner. The piece can only be either of the choices: free verse poetry, narrative, or short story. For the first term, you will be paired up and assigned to create a character profile of your partner. I will be handing out a character profile sheet later in which you will be filling up. It'll ask basic information such as their name, hobbies, favorite things, dislikes, goals for the future, etc. That will be your output for the first term, got it?"

The class simultaneously gives nods with you lazily going along with them.

"Okay. For the second term, you will decide on the type of written piece you will be creating." The teacher pauses. "The piece will be based on the relevant information you placed in your character profile. It can be anything about them, like a narrative about their favorite color, a short story of what they do during their free time, so long as the topic comes from their character profile. Now, just because I said you can write anything doesn't mean that you can half-ass this. No. I expect your pieces to be substantial and creative."

Basically, exertion of effort is expected. Perhaps you can pull out a piece of motivation saved up in your pocket from all of the years you haven't used it so as to not drag your partner down too much.

"So, for the second term, your output will be the first draft of your written piece. And finally, for the third term, after I have checked your drafts, you will be editing and revising your written pieces. Your final output will be the edited piece. For the specifics regarding the written piece, you will be informed of it during the second term once you actually start on the draft. Additionally, I have also decided on an incentive for the best work.

"As you all are aware, you are all in your third year of high school and you will be working on your college applications soon. So, I have decided that the best written piece will be given a chance to be submitted to one of the best literature and journalism universities in the prefecture. So, for anyone who is interested in that field, then I suggest that you give your best. As for those who are not interested in attending that university, then instead, your piece will be added alongside your college essay and application.​​ Think of it as something to boost your credibility, which I believe will significantly help you in getting into your desired school. Okay?"