Part 1

"Come away from the water, girl." I'm being ushered back to safety by my ma-ma. A girl, I am not. But in her eyes, I will always be her little girl.

Overprotective as always, I've never learned to swim and have been conditioned that it is something to be feared. Her brainwashing has been in vain, as I love it.

Standing near the edge where the earth meets the water, I draw strength from it—Something I have never told my ma-ma.

The origin of my birth was revealed to me at an early age. My ma-ma couldn't have children; in our village, that is a woman's death sentence.

Calling out to Olokun, the authority over other water deities, she commanded that the Orisha give her a child. Had she and her ancestors not venerated the gods and goddesses religiously? "Give me what is owed!" She cried out.

Olokun is male and female—The Orisha lay with my ma-ma and gave her a child, an honor she carries proudly.

I am the product of their union, a woman of great strength and abilities that I've had to keep hidden. No one must ever know that there is a person of power more remarkable than the black panther in Wakanda.

"Go wash up while I get the wine." She says, laying out the table for our mid-day meal.

"Give me a minute, ma-ma," I reply as I watch her head into our house.

An extension of the river tribe, we live on the outskirts, away from our people, nearer the ocean.

Wiggling my toes in the cool water, I watch her head toward our home. Returning my attention back to the calming water, my eyes close.

I'm contemplating my mother's "suggestion" that I petition for the position of instructor at the village school when a disturbance in the water alerts me.

My eyes open to a wave of gigantic proportions barreling toward land. In shock, I take flight and head to the safety of our home.

"Ma-ma! Ma-ma!" I scream.

"Oshun!" I hear my name over the roar of the wave.

I reach the door, and it follows on my heels, crashing against the walls. A loud crack resonates in the foundation. Our home was obliterated on impact.

I awaken to devastation and debris as far as the eye can see. I can hear the cries and screams from the village nearby.

Coming to my feet, I checked to ensure I hadn't been injured. "Ma-ma!" I call out to her in my search.

Quickly hunting through the drowned bodies that litter the ground, my worst nightmare has come to life, and too soon.

I can hear the whispers of my people in the damp water on the ground. Their souls weep for what was lost.

And then I hear her, and my heart breaks. It can't be—My ma-ma.

I'm in a traumatic stupor as I slowly reach the monster that has always brought me comfort and peace.

The monster that I was never allowed to embrace fully.— The ocean.

At the water's edge, I dare not go any further. I hear her telling me that I will be okay and to be strong.

She's wrong. I'm not okay and don't have the strength to be strong. The world as I knew it is no more.

I have nothing and no one left—No home and no family.

Collapsing in tears, I command that the water come for me as it did my mother, to let me drown in my sorrow.

The small waves grow in height and vigor as they clash against my body.

With my head held back, and arms open to receive my fate, I welcome it with a heavy heart.

Just when I thought that I'd be reunited with my ma-ma in the spiritual plane, I'm jolted back into the earthly plane.

"Oshun, what are you doing?" His firm hand on my shoulder is alarming!

"Amadi, my ma-ma is gone," I state, going into his arms. In my grief, I'd forgotten about my childhood friend. I still have one ally left in this world.

"Her body was recovered, and I came to find you. You're safe now."

Crying out my pain, his words offer me no consolation.