II

Ben let out an unexpected sigh as Darius retreated to his bed. He stood there for a moment; headache leaking into his temples. He rubbed the bridge of his nose and looked around. The location of their treehouse wasn't safe anymore. They had gotten rid of the Scorpios Rex, but that doesn't mean Toro or Rexy (even though it was highly unlikely since she had made Main Street her home) would find there way here. Knowing their luck; it'd be surprising of nothing bothered them while trying to repair their home. The Carnosaur and T. Rex were vicious creatures. Although they had evaded them before, Ben never wanted to take the chance of it again. 

Ben glanced around the treehouse once more. He might as well start cleaning at least the inside. Darius would probably get upset if he were to try and tackle the outside himself, which he was definitely considering. The only thing around was mostly empty cans and trash.

The Island Boy let out a upset sigh. He hated cleaning, even before they got to Isla Nublar. Sure, he used to be a germaphobe, but more of a reason to hate cleaning or touch anything that even had to do with germs or trash. He would particularly keep his room spotless to avoid having to clean it. He smiles at the thought. He remembers his mom coming into his room every Saturday morning to check if it was clean, it was of course, but Ben had a small suspicion that those visits were just to see him. Especially after the first few times of it being spotless like usual. Ben wiped his eyes of any stray tears that may have fallen. Back to work he supposed.

There wasn't much places to put the trash. Ben just picked a spot some feet away from camp to pile it up. They'd deal with it eventually. The trash was quickly gotten rid of. After some constant trips up and down the ladder.

The treehouse didn't have too much more supplies to spare. A couple cans of fruit which would only last them a couple days if they keep them rationed. They had no water, though they could get it from the river close by. Which isn't the greatest of water, but who were they to complain.

Ben sat down on their makeshift living room couch. At least Ben didn't have to spend time looking out for all of his friends. Trying to help and protect five people can be tiring. Although, since it is just him and Darius now; that job will be easier. Darius wasn't hard to look after. Darius was mostly independent like him anyways.  He was a born leader. He knew everything there is about dinosaurs. It's the only way that they had actually survived this long. 

Speaking of dinosaurs; Ben hadn't heard any all night. He could at least hear a compy pack running past. Anything, really. Although the night was completely silent for the first time in many nights. Ben thanked whatever god there was. Darius could actually get some well needed sleep. He knows the boy stays up much longer than the others had. This includes getting up earlier as well. Ben didn't want that for the younger boy. Even if it risked his own sleep, he could stay up for a good two days to let him rest. Its what friends do, right?

Ben's mind wandered to their fight. Regret traced his face. It was so stupid to even think about. Darius was only trying to help, Darius was scared of losing him again, Darius was scared for his safety. Ben wanted to stay, but now that he was here, he wanted to leave. It's all he wanted; stay with the dinosaurs, live freely in the jungle with his best companion. Darius wouldn't let that happen to him. Hell, Ben wanted nothing more to go home. The more he thought about it: how he wouldn't fit into human society anymore. What his mother would think of him. It scared Ben more than anything. 

The first rays of sun appeared. Ben yawned and squinted at the tree covered sunrise. Darius should be getting up soon. Ben rubbed his eyes of sleep. Just seconds later light footsteps appeared behind him. Ben turned towards their supposed domicile. 

Darius emerged seconds later. Eyes bright as if nothing bad had happened in the last 48 hours they had been there. The boy stretched.

"What are we doing today?" He questioned, Darius had knew most of the plans. He wanted to know what Ben wanted to do. 

Ben hummed before answering, "Well we definitely need to get the fence back up as soon as possible. Maybe we go find Bumpy and get her to help us?" 

Darius nodded at the idea. "Sounds like a good idea. Where should we look for her?"

Ben looked down in thought, "We definitely have to look where their pack is. Bumpy's favorite berry bush and the watering hole are the most likely places to find her."

Darius nodded at the ideas. "Sounds good, shall we go?" 

Ben stood at this and gave his friend a stern nod. Doing this, the two climbed down the ladder and made their way towards the ankylosaurus pack. Ben lead, knowing the exact locations of where her herd would be.  

The two walked in silence. Darius couldn't tell if it was an uncomfortable silence or not. Darius noticed the bags forming underneath his best friends eyes earlier. Darius felt steeped in guilt. He bitterly regretted letting Ben stay up all night. They would usually change shifts half way through the night. He knew Ben hadn't even attempted to wake him up.

"Ben, are you okay? You seem tired," Darius mentions. His eyes face to the back of the other boys head.

The other boy shook it off. "Yeah as soon as we find Bumpy I'll be alright. I'm not tired either; don't worry about me." 

Darius shook his head with a few mocking hums. "Mhm, so that's why you have bags under your eyes and you're walking somewhat sluggishly."

Ben stopped to glance at the other boy.

"Y'know, because you're 'not tired.'" Darius smiled cheekily at the taller boy. 

Ben rolled his eyes with a playful smile and started walking again. 

"I'll be alright, Darius. You don't need to go all 'leader' up on me about rest," Ben replied to the others bantering. 

"Hey, its not me going all 'leader' up on you. I'm allowed to look after my friends right?" Darius questioned jogging up to walk next to the other boy. 

Ben let out a small chuckle, "Of course, Dino-nerd." 

The two were soon met with a small clearing of ankylosaurus'. It was the place Bumpy's herd usually stayed.

"Bumpy?" Ben called out. No reply.

Ben cupped his hands as to heighten his hollering, "Bumpster?!" 

Once again, no reply. 

"Huh, she isn't here." Ben looked around at the ankylosaurus'. None of them had the small horn that stood out like Bumpy's or her faded cyan plates.

Darius sat a hand on Bens shoulder. 

"We aren't ever lucky, I'm not surprised we didn't find her on our first try." 

The hand on Bens shoulder fell to his own hand. Ben looked at Darius with slight confusion. His pale cheeks faded to a light pink.

"C'mon the watering hole is closer than where her favorite berry bushes are. Let's check there first," Darius said dragging him along. 

The connection didn't last long, it was only as if the thirty seconds of their interlocked hands were just to guide Ben the right direction. Hell, if it didn't work.