chapter fourteen

Steve cut a box with a knife and revealed a big metal square. We all looked at him then watched had he put his hand on the handle and tried to pull it but then twisted it making a click. He pulled the lid off and it hissed smoke coming off of it.

There was four smaller handles just like the one on the lid.

"That's definitely not Chinese food." Steve said. "Uh maybe you guys should stand back." Robin and Erica sat down backing up slightly. Dustin didn't move an inch. I didn't want to either and Steve could tell by the look on my face, he shook his head towards me and I sighed backing up with them.

"No." Dustin said flatly.

"Just step back, okay?" Steve had his hand placed on Dustin's chest holding him back.

"No."

"Step back seriously."

"No! No! If you die, I die."

Steve shrugged and said okay letting the kid stand with him as he opened up one of the doors. It made another click and hiss and Steve pulled out a tube with a green liquid.

We all stared at it confused, Steve looked a bit closer. "What the hell?"

"What is that?" Robin asked.

Then there was a rumbling sound the the whole room shook. "Is that just me or did the room move?" Dustin asked looking around.

Erica whispered, "Booby traps."

There was the sound of gears turning and another rumble. Robin stepped forwards grabbing the tube, "You know what? Let's just grab that and go." Robin took it to Erica's bag.

Dustin rushed over to the buttons and pressed the blue one with open door. Nothing happened, he did it a few more times and still nothing.

"Which one do I press Erica?"

"Just press the damn button nerd."

"Which one? I'm pressing the button okay?"

"Press open door!"

"I'm pressing open door!" All the yelling and arguing made me panic and I looked around grabbing my chest hoping this would all calm down and stop.

Steve stepped towards Dustin, "Just press the other button." They kept fighting everyone pressing the freaking button and then a large door closed and locked into place. I turned towards Steve.

Then the whole thing jolted downwards at a crazy speed. Robin, Dustin and Erica were screaming bloody murder. And I could tell if I was or not.

We just kept falling and it got to the point where it felt like it had been thirty minutes. Now I know I was screaming cause my throat burned, Steve was too now.

"We're going down! We're going down!" Steve yelled. Dustin kept pressing buttons hoping it would stop at some point.

"Yeah no shit Harrington!" Robin screamed.

"Why don't these buttons work?!" Dustin yelled.

Erica ran over to him pressing them herself. "Press the button!"

"What do you think i'm doing?!" They still kept screaming about the buttons and I slid down against the wall screaming and holding my ears praying it would just shut up and all go quiet.

Then it did. We stopped falling down, Steve was on the ground and everyone was taking deep breaths. I kept my hands on my ears taking deep breaths my eyes closed as I tried to slow my breathing.

Steve stood and walked over to me leaning down to see my face. "Iz, are you okay? Are you hurt?" I shook my head and pulled in a shaky breath. "Breath, it's okay. It's going to be okay."

"Is everyone okay?" Robin asked holding her head.

Steve stood, "Yeah i'm great, now that I know that Russians can't design elevators!" He pushed Dustin out of the way and began to press those stupid buttons.

I blinked a few times, everyone was standing and watching Steve. "I think we've clearly established that those buttons don't work." Robin said.

"They're buttons. They have to do something."

"Yeah if we had a keycard." Robin pointed to the other metal thing next to the buttons.

"A what?"

"It's an electronic lock. Same as the loading dock door. If we don't have a keycard, it won't operate meaning-"

"We're stuck in here." Dustin finished. I slowly stood off the ground finding my footing and watched as Erica exploded.

"Just so you nerds are aware, I'm supposed to be spending the night at Tina's, and Tina always covers for me. But if i'm not home for Uncle Jacks party tomorrow and my mom finds out you four are responsible, she's gonna hunt you down, one by one, and slit your throat."

"I don't care about Tina! Or Uncle Jacks party! Your moms not gonna be able to find us if we're dead in a Russian elevator!"

Erica eyed him, her eyes narrowing on his face. "Can everyone please stop screaming? It's getting ridiculous, we are stuck in an enclosed space probably forever and if i'm dying listen to you all bitch at each other I will kill all of you." They all stared at me in shock and nodded.

"Hey. What if we climbed out." Dustin pointed to the vent like door on the roof. Steve and Dustin went up to the top to look and see while us girls stayed down here waiting.

I had to listen to Dustin talk on his stupid walkie-talkie about his code red forever. "Steve, can you please shut him up." I looked over at him and he nodded climbing up to ask him to stop.

I stared at the wall and thought of anything I could to get my mind off the fact that we're stuck.

"Why are you upset you get to spend the night with Robin." I heard Dustin say but just barely I don't think Robin heard cause she was still looking around. Even Dustin realized that Steve likes Robin more than me. I sighed and leaned my head back.

I head the pee hit the wall and I looked at Robin then at the wall and watched as it ran down. I scrunched up my face in disgust.

"Can you redirect your stream please?" Robin asked.

I heard repeated clanging and looked over to see Erica smacking the green liquid onto a box to try and open it. Me and Robin ran over to her quickly.

"Hey, hey! Be careful, careful, careful!" Robin snatched it out of her hands. "We don't even know what that is."

"Exactly. It could be useful."

"Useful how?" I asked

"We can survive down here a long time without food, but if the human body doesn't get water it will die."

"I hate to break it to you but this is not water." Robin said.

"No but it's a liquid, and if it comes down to me drinking that shit or dying of thirst, I drink." She smiled up at us and snatched it from Robins hand.

"Well instead of dying from thirst you could die from drinking that." I rolled my eyes and looked over to see Robin with her ear placed on the door.

"Someones coming." She ran over to go warn the boys.