part one

-

1984

New place, fresh start, new friends, new school.

-

"How was the arcade?" I asked, looking ahead at the road. Max my younger step sister was sitting next to me in the passenger seat staring out the window.

"Fine." She didn't bother to look at me. So I dropped the subject and we rode in silence until we got home.

As soon as we got home my dad was yelling at my twin brother Billy. He had him pinned against the wall, I was so used to it, so I just hung my jacket up and took a left into my room. Max did the same.

The screaming and banging continued for another ten to fifteen minutes until it stopped and they stomped into their rooms and slammed the doors. I took my headphones and turned on music and stared at my ceiling.

-

"Elizabeth if I don't see you outside in ten, you're walking!" Billy yells at me from the hall.

"Damn it Billy, I'm coming!" I shoved my things into my bag and walked out of my door and outside to see Billy resting on the car smoking while Max sat in the back. She looked miserable, and to be honest I can't blame her.

"Are you gonna move so I can get in, or are you just gonna stand there?" I asked my mullet headed brother. He dropped his cigarette and smashed it with his boot.

"Shut the hell up." He retorted.

I rolled my brown eyes and got in. I hated the way he smelled, stale cigs and beer.

Billy never stops for anyone he just inches closer and closer until the person moves. He speeds hella fast and it gets on my nerves, but sometimes it's exhilarating and a relief. I counted about a total of five kids he almost hit.

We all got out and I could feel people's eyes on us as we all got out. Billy huffed on his new cig and I turned around to stop Max before she zoomed off to school.

"Hey." She looked up at me, I bit my lip thinking of what to say. "Just try and make friends. I'll see you after." She nodded and she seemed annoyed but also thankful someone had said something to her.

A group of girls watched as Billy walked past them, I rolled my eyes when one of the taller redhead grabbed my arm.

"Hey." I flinched at their touch. "Is that your brother?"

"Yep, that's my brother. He's an ass." She smiled at me and looked at her friends.

I turned to leave when another redhead, but shorter stopped me. "Don't go into school yet, we have to meet our friends. Wanna hang?"

-

They were such a handful, and their friends ended up going in without me so it was all pointless. They ended up leaving me and walking ahead of me, I can't stand people.

I closed my locker to find a girl with short curly hair standing right behind it. I jumped and grasped my heart.

"Oh my god, I am so sorry." I laughed and looked at her. She was super pretty, I mean annoyingly pretty. She laughed a little too and began to talk. "Are you new?" I nodded and we started to walk.

"Unfortunately, yes."

"Well, my name's Nancy. Nancy Wheeler. I figured you needed someone to help you out on your first day. And those chicks are definitely not the right ones." I smiled and nodded.