Chapter fifteen

We all hurried up to the top being as quiet as possible. I heard the big metal doors open, feet stomped into the room. They said something in Russian and we all turned to each other then stared back down. Steve looked through the small holes waiting.

Then he looked up holding his finger to his lips. Then he looked at the tube in Erica's hands then back at Erica.

We heard the car begin to drive away, then the elevator door began to slowly close. Steve hurried down first placing the tube underneath to stop it from closing.

"Let's go." He said quickly. I threw Erica's bag towards him and he slid it under. Erica went first he rushed her underneath to the other side. Next was Dustin, Me and Robin waited patiently for the kids to head out first. I heard the cracking of the glass vial and I knew we were running out of time.

Robin and I hurried out next, the thing was about to collapse and Steve still wasn't out.

"Steve hurry!" I whispered nervously. And he slid out from under the door and within seconds the door crushed the vial making the green liquid spread onto the ground. The ground began to melt and left a hole on the floor.

"You still wanna drink that?" I asked Erica smiling.

"Holy mother of god." We all turn around and see what Dustin was referring to. The hallway was so long you couldn't see the other end.

"Well... hope you guys are in good shape." Steve said pushing through all of us, he patted Dustin's chest. "Looking at you roast beef." Then Steve was a few steps in front of us. "Let's go, come on."

Me and Robin placed our hands behind the kids backs making them step in front of us.

We kept walking down this stupid hallway. There was nothing interesting about it, just pipes and tubes it looked the same the whole way.

"I mean, you have to admit, as a fear of engineering alone, this is impressive." Dustin said.

"There's nothing impressive about this." I groaned my legs aching already.

"What are you talking about? It's a total fire hazard. There's no stairs, there's no exit, there's just an elevator that drops you halfway to hell." Steve said looking at the boy.

"They're commies." Erica said. "You don't pay people, they cut corners."

"To be fair to our Russian comrades, I don't think this tunnel was designed for walking. I mean think about it, they developed the perfect system for transporting that cargo." Robins voice echos down the hall.

"It all comes into the mall like any old delivery."

"Then they load it up onto those trucks and nobody's the wiser." Robin finished.

"You think they built this whole mall just so they could transport that green poison?" Steve looked down towards me our eyes locking for just a moment.

"It's definitely not something as boring as poison, they have a bigger plan for it."

I looked at Dustin who nodded at me telling me I was right. "It's gotta be much more valuable, like promethium or something."

"What the hell is promethium?" Steve asked completely lost.

"It's what Victor Stones dad used to make Cyborgs bionic and cybernetic components."

Erica's face scrunched up in disgust at Robin. "You're all so nerdy, it makes me physically ill." She pretended to throw up while holding her stomach.

"No, no, no. Don't lump me in with them, i'm not a nerd." Steve protested. I honestly didn't care if I was a 'nerd' or not. 

"Why so sensitive, Harrington?" Robin asked looking over at him. "Afraid of losing cool points to a ten-year-old child?"