Chapter twenty one

We finally made it all the way up the hill and Dustin smiled as we looked at the weird contraption. 

"What in the hell?" I said looking around at all the metal pieces.

"What?"

"When you said you had something I thought you meant it would be giant taking up all the space." Dustin glared at me. I cleared my throat,"Does it work?" 

"Only one way to find out." Dustin turned the radio on and held the thing to his lips. "Bald Eagle, do you copy? Bald Eagle, I repeat, this is Scoops Troop, do you copy?"

"Yes, I copy."  Murray said from the other side. You could hear the annoyance in his tone.

We all chuckled with relief and smiled,"Call sign?" Dustin said.

Murray sighed,"Bald Eagle."

"Please repeat." Dustin pestered.

"Bald Eagle. This is Bald Eagle!" Murray said getting louder.

"Copy that. Good to hear your voice, Bald Eagle. What's your twenty?"

"We reached the vent. I'll contact you when I need you. Until then, silence."

"Roger that, Bald Eagle. This is Scoops Troop, going radio silent. 10-10 over."

Dustin and Erica continued to tell Murray where to go and how to maneuver his way through. I stood overlooking the fields, my arms crossed out my chest. I thought about Max and how she is, if she was still there, if Billy was gonna make it as well.

I suddenly got a chill, goosebumps flooded my arms. I shivered even though it was still almost 70 degrees outside.

"Are you cold?" Steve asked wrapping his arms around me. I shook my head. "Well, the goosebumps on your arms tell me differently."

I turned around facing him, his hands remained on my hips, he studded my face. His brows pulling in, I used the back of my hand to stroke his cheek, then I held his face between my hands. 

"Promise me, that no matter what happens you will look over Max."

"Iz, what are you talking-"

I cut him off,"Steve. I have this gut feeling that something isn't right, something will go wrong. So all i'm asking is you will look after Max." 

I took my thumb gently brushing over his bottom lip, before softly pressing my lips against his. We seperated a smile smile appearing on my lips before he looked over my shoulder and let go of me. The areas he touched me still tingled. He walked away staring in the distance. 

"Steve, what's wrong?" I asked grabbing onto his arm. 

"Hey guys!" Steve yelled. 

They all ran over to us and that's when I saw it too. The lights at the mall were flickering. I was terrified, Max was over there. 

Everyone was. 

We sprinted over to the radio picking it up to talk to them. "Griswold Family, this is Scoops Troop! Do you copy? Over!" Dustin yelled. There was no answer, my heart sprinted in my chest. "Griswold Family, I repeat, this is Scoops Troop. Do you-" Just then a screech echoed on the radio. "Griswold Family, do you copy? Do you copy?!" There was a loud roar from the other end. "Griswold Family this is Scoops Troop. Please confirm your safety!" 

Dustin kept repeating the same thing, but there was never an answer. 

Steve shot up running away from us. I got up to running after him. 

"Steve, where are you going?" I grabbed his arm. 

"We need to get them out. Stay here." He grabbed my head and placed he kiss on it. But I shook my head.

"No, no. You are not leaving me here. I'm coming." 

"Oh no you are not." He protested.

"Steve, my sister is there! You can't expect me to just sit around and do nothing!" He sighed and shook his head.

"Fine. But listen very closely, you will not leave my sight for even a second do you understand?" I nodded and we ran. "Stay here, contact the others!" Steve yelled. 

I look back and Robin is running after us, a walkie-talkie in hand. "I'm coming!" 

***

We drove into the mall parking lot. Billy was driving full speed towards Nancy, as she shot her gun. "Steve he's about to hit them!" I screamed as I watched Billy continue to get closer. 

Just before he hit everyone he smashed into the car pushing it out of the way. 

Smoke escaped our car, and Billy's was on fire. 

Steve looked over at me then Robin. "You guys okay?" We just nodded stuned.

"Ask me tomorrow." Robin said. The the creature snarled in the mall. We watched as it climbed onto the top and looked down on us. 

Then Nancy pulled up next to us honking. "Get in!" 

We jumped into the trunk and the monster followed us. 

I looked around and noticed Lucas, Will, Jonathan and Nancy where in the car. But not Max, El, or Mike. 

"Where is everyone else?" I looked at everyone. They didn't say a word. "Someone better tell me where the hell my sister is!" 

"I don't know, we got split up!" Nancy said turning towards me. 

"Oh, my god." I sunk back down in the seat. "Oh my god! We left them there! My sister and her friends are still in that mall!" 

"Yeah but the mind flare is chasing us." Lucas said trying to calm me down but I was fuming.

"I don't care if this stupid ugly monster is chasing us or not! We left them! And I know damn well that Billy is not dead, and i'm just as scared of Billy right now as I am of this thing!" Everyone was silent and never said a word. 

"Dusty-bun you copy?" Said a random girl.

"I copy Suzie-poo. It sounds much better now, thanks."

Robin looked up at us. "Suzie."

"Okay, so listen, do you know Planks constant?"

"Do you know the Earth orbits the sun?"

"Okay, so I know it starts with two sixes, and then a... w-what is it?"

"Okay, let me just be clear on this. I haven't heard from you in a week, and now you want a mathematical equation that you should know so you can save the world?"

"Suzie-poo, I promise I will make it up to you as soon as possible."

"You can make it up to me now."

"What?"

"I want to hear it."

"Not right now." Dustin protested.

"Yes, now, Dusty-bun." 

"Suzie-poo, this is urgent."

"Yes, yes you're saving the world, I heard you the first time, but Ged is also saving Earthsea and he's about to confront the shadow, so this is Suzie signing off."

"Wait, wait. Okay, okay." Dustin paused and we all waited for this thing Suzie-poo was dying to hear. "Turn around," Dustin then broke into song and my eyes shot up, my face showed just how disgusted and confused I was.

Dustin continued to sing "Neverending Story," by himself and I began to chuckle as I listened. Soon Suzie breaks in, singing as well. All while they are singing the Mind Flayer is chasing us.

Finally after what felt like an eternity, Suzie gives Planks Constant.