Cubicles

"Juliette," Nolan exclaimed as I walked in ten minutes early as always into the small theater.

His overly friendly tone really caught me off guard. Nolan wasn't nice to anybody. In fact, he hadn't been nice to me before yesterday.

"Nolan..." I said less enthusiastically giving him a fake smile.

I would play along with his mood swings as he was a very important director to have on one's side in this department. They had casted me for a high placing role as a freshman from the beginning of the year which meant that I could definitely go places in the future. In addition, Nolan isn't someone you want on your bad side. He eagerly walked up the steps and seemed to have a plan.

"Come," he said.

He led the way to the lobby which was next to all the cubicles. He walked towards his cubicle. It's picture was engraved in my head as I had replayed the embarrassing scene that had played out here multiple times in my head.

"Remember how you slipped," he laughed out loud.

I was red. What was the object of this? Why was he making me remember what had happened? Was this a sick way of reminding me of how we'd aquatinted? 

"This here is my theater cubicle. It's my office, my lounge, and my second room. It's where I do my homework and video chat with my family. This is where I lesson plan for the freshman class, because none of the other directors take the initiative."

"I wondered why you were always taking charge..." I pointed out aloud.

"I naturally gravitate towards leadership positions. Which is why, if I don't get casted anytime soon, there's always the directing career path for me. And you, Juliette, are destined to have a theater cubicle of your own. I see it. In the next three years you will have these offices right in the hallway. You don't believe it, but you have a bright future in this theater department. Which is why I don't want to make the same mistake I did and take Creative Writing and be a multi path. I took Stage Arts. Big mistake as I couldn't be backstage and on stage at the same time. That may have even be the main hindering force in my career."

I was dumbfounded, awestruck, and bewildered all at once. Just a while back he was making derogatory comments towards multipaths and now he was confesssing to be one? The bigger question was why he was confessing this fact to me?

Nolan continued, "I really don't see why I haven't been casted in the next novel to motion picture yet. I mean, you couldn't have heard but,  'Mackenzie-Call-Me-Mack' got casted for a movie the other day. He'll leave right after Hamlet. I shouldn't have old you that but...the point is...well..."

I smiled politely at his flustering. I would be frustrated if I was in the same situation. Nolan, however, was always composed. There had to be a serious reason why he was perplexed. I had known this from only observing his behavior from two weeks of classes.

He blurted, "Maybe I'm not good looking enough..."

Was he kidding? He had to be kidding. He was great looking. In fact, one could categorize him as hot if they weren't into the "abbs" type.

But then I stopped myself. What in the world was my subconscious thinking? Was I just assessing his looks? Nolan was strictly my director. He viewed me as a studious and potentially talented pupil. I had no experience with people liking me. I had simple crushes with people who, in hindsight, were horrible choices as they were those who skateboarded their lives towards D's.

Wait a minute. Was I debating whether or not I liked the way Nolan looked? Stop, Juliette. Stop! Shut up, estrogen!

"Juliette?" Nolan interjected my thoughts.

"...will you go to Homecoming with me?"

What in the name of...? Was this guy kidding me again?

I replied incredulously, "Umm...no...You said it yourself. I'm a freshman. You hate freshman!"

This was the first time anyone had ever asked me to anything. The bell to class rang. We had to get to class and quick. I did not want there to be any suspicion. Then again, what suspicion would arise between a freshman and a director. It was unheard of.

"Not because I like like you, silly. I really don't have anyone else to go with since I have a bad reputation for being really arrogant and a jerk and I don't want Edith to ask me again!"

No freaking way! 

This guy was admitting his flaws to a freshman like myself. He was additionally acting desperate to said freshman. On top of that, he planned on using her. I tried to be polite urging, "I'm sorry. We really need to get to class. I didn't even know the Academy had a Homecoming."

Author's Note: Leave a comment as to what you think Nolan will ask Juliette.  Don't forget to vote:)