Trust

The next morning it was like everything was over. The world stopped revolving around me. I didn't know why I didn't like it. It had been fifteen years and I should have been accustomed to the fact that my day of glory only lasted twenty-four hours. I always had such high expectations.

Something was wrong with Germaine at breakfast. She seemed distant as if something had happened between us. I wasn't going to be comfortable until I found out what grieved her.

"What's going on, Germaine? You haven't talked to me all morning," I inquired.

She didn't hesitate to get to the point, "Well, you have a pretty big part, Juliette. And everything seems to be going great for you. And I'm pretty happy. I should be happier, though, when I see that you're getting so involved. But sometimes you seem to forget about me. It's as if you ignore me because you have so many things going on because you're so successful."

"You're wrong, Germaine. I would never ignore you. You're the best friend I have. I didn't choose what role I got. I was casted."

"But you were good enough to get it!"

People turned their head so she lowered her voice, "You were deemed worth of such a role. And I wasn't. And it's not like I'm anywhere high up either. I'm the freaking Ghost!"

"It's ok. There'll be so many more opportunities in our four years here," I reassure her.

"You don't understand. You don't have any pressure!" her voice cracked in her whisper as tears started flooding her eyes, "My sister is a very successful person. I have to keep up with the expectations. I have to be as good as her. She was like you; lead role from the first play. What's going to happen when I'm not as good as her? What are my parents going to say?"

I retorted incredulously, "What are my parents going to say? What do you mean I have no pressure? I came here so I can prove to them, successful professors, that I can provide means for myself and be successful with an acting or writing career."

I was shocked to find out that this is what Germaine thought. I never deliberately tried to ignore and did my best to conceal any thing I might say having to do with the fact that I got the role as Gertrude. I always tried to be nice to her and that is what she thought of me. We were only three weeks into our school year in the Academy and if this is what she thought of me...I was disheartened. 

Tears started running from my eyes. I didn't need this from the only friend I had. I ran out and up the Shakespeare building steps to my dorm room. I never had any friends like her before. At my old regular schools I was never good at making true lasting friendships. Germaine had helped me become confident and to speak with everybody. She had told me that there was no way of knowing someone or knowing if they thought you were nice if you didn't acquaint with them. She taught me that I had nothing to lose from saying my hellos to people and smiling to them in the hallways. And she was all of a sudden finding me as a threat? Germaine saw me as competition?

I decided to skip rehearsals and preferred to mope around. I was heartbroken and so was Germaine. Actually, was she? I hoped. I knew I hadn't swayed her to see my side. She didn't come up to the dorm which meant she was in class. I wasn't going to class. I had my fair share of drama as of late and I didn't need the drama theater and Hamlet was adding to it. I had also given enough of my time to extra lessons, too. I was alright missing one class. I'd go to my other ones anyways.

After first arts period, I decided to go to Inspiration Park for the wind to dry my tears and reduce my under-eye redness and puffiness. I sat on the, bridge feet dangling. My back was to the water. If I fell, I would be wet from the creek. I could afford to be a little rebellious after ditching first period and all. Wow, being fifteen really made me an edgy person.

The bell rang. People started flooding the park as it was on their way to their next classes. Couples holding hands. Violinist holding violin cases. Dancers running up to their dorms to change out of their leotards. And then there was a boy. He wore a grey tweed jacket, as it was a cold September day. He had a brown leather cross-body briefcase. It was Nolan and he saw me. He really thought he was in Europe or something. 

"I thought you would be in your bed with the flu and unable to breathe since you missed class. Yet, I see you're outside and leisurely sitting on a bridge."

I was fearful that Nolan was going to tell the teachers that I had been truant. My nose was congesting from all the crying and I wasn't the type of person who got in trouble. The reality of my mistake started to set it. 

Thankfully, though, Nolan let it off with a laugh saying, "We missed you in class today, Gertrude."

"Oh, well. I was not feeling in the mood to come today..."

"I bet you have your reasons. However, you weren't there to receive my real birthday present for you."

"My birthday passed. And wasn't what you did yesterday gift enough?" I asked.

Nolan replied taking out a vintage copy of a script book, "My personal collector's copy of a selection of the best under-rated plays."

"Oh, I can't accept that. That book is way to valuable. Is this how you reward absent students?"

"Stop brining that up or people will hear and actually mark you down! Shh. I was going to give this to you as soon as I found out when your birthday was. I've read it over seven times and thought of no better person then to pass it down to."

I laughed involuntarily, "Okay. I'll take it."

"And read it, mind you! Monday we continue with lessons!"

And just like that he was off. For a few minutes so were any worries of Germaine off my shoulders.

Author's Note: So... What about Germaine reactions there? What did you think? Could you have predicted this? Let me know in the comments and don't forget to vote.