"Isn't it lovely?"

I was waiting in the lobby, adjacent to the small theater and the cubicles, reciting my monologue in my head. In another environment, I would have looked crazy moving my mouth and contorting my face into different facial expressions. Yet, the kids around me were doing voice exercises loudly which made me a little less of a laughing stock. I chose a monologue from the "Diary of Anne Frank." I loved the book, the play, and Anne herself so much I knew I just had to execute this monologue wonderfully. Anne knew she had a dismal end so she wrote out her life creating a legacy for herself. If I was close to dying, I'd probably try to make my last dying wishes to get my books published. See, I contemplated these things...

However, the ambience around me was highly intimidating consisting of upperclassmen who were experienced and accomplished guest directors. When the assistant director, Kasi, pointed at me and summoned me to say my monologue, my heart rate increased two-fold. Lara York, presumably, nodded in my direction and I started slating.

"Hello, my name is Juliette and I will be sharing with you a monologue from the 'Diary of Anne Frank.' 'Look, Peter, the sky...'"

After what felt like years but was only two minutes I stated finally, "'Isn't it lovely?'"

Surprisingly kind, Lara York smiled saying, "Thank you very much, Juliette. Just to let you know that I've decided that the play this year is going to be 'The Enchanted' by Jean Giraudoux. It is a relatively modern comedy."

I replied with a smile, "That sounds great. Thank you very much."

---

Later that day I was sprawled on my bed trying to complete my writing assignment. There was no need to practice for the next day's singing auditions for the musical because my singing abilities would not vary. Whatever capability I had was all I'd got. Germaine was in the neighboring bed singing her audition piece and sounding like an angel. She was bound to be in the musical. 

I truly despised writing for this writing assignment. Conventionality was not the sort of writing I was looking to do and the creative writing class was composed of only that.

Suddenly, my sensitive hearing caught someone's familiar voice in the hallway. Many people were loud in the hallways but this person's voice was quiet audible. 

"Adel...Adel...okay. Yes, alright, I'll take your advice. Stop putting undue pressure on me, Adel. Okay I'm going to hang-up now if you continue. Okay. Bye, Adel."

It was Nolan. He was on the phone with some girl and his voice was bellowing for no reason, ruining my concentration. The door to our dorm room was open so I decide to close it. As soon as I grabbed the door knob Nolan did exactly what I didn't want to happen. 

He noticed me.

"Juliette! Is this your room? Might as well say hello to Germaine. Mind if I come inside?" 

Ugh! His touchiness was getting on my nerves. I did not need this. I was in the middle of a very important, and conventional, writing assignment and I did not need some guy to barge into my all-girls dorm room. Why was he on the all-girls floor anyway?

Oops. Did I say that out loud?

"Well, since you asked, I was on the phone with my sister Adelphia, who we call Adel. She was forcing me to look for someone to go my senior homecoming with because it's 'so important.' And, I told her that I already tried to solve that problem a month ago but it didn't work out..."

I said plainly, "It's still a firm no."

Germaine, unbeknownst to any of this, exclaimed, "Wait what? What? I'm so confused!"

"Nevermind!" Nolan and I both yelled at the same time. 

Nolan nodded his head and decided to take a seat on my rolling chair without my permission, "I guess I'll have to just go solo. Stag. Whatever the cool kids call it."

I rolled my eyes, "Why do you act as if you are thirty years old? You didn't even answer my first question..."

Nolan smirked, "Woah...woah! One question at a time. In the all boys level it is very embarrassing to associate with my sixth grader sister. Whilst on that floor it is awkward, on the girls level it is found to be 'adorable.' So, if you were to put yourself into my place, which level would you call your younger sister?"

"This level!" Germaine blurted out. 

I stated the obvious, "That was a rhetorical question, Germaine."

Nolan continued, "Secondly I don't act thirty years old. I just don't act seventeen. Now, you're working   on your songs I hope."

Germaine smiled, "Yup! Getting ready to take away those junior and senior roles!"

"Good thinking, Germaine, although I'm a senior here, mind you. I like your confidence."

An awkward silence followed as I realized that Nolan had, again, diverted his gaze towards me. 

"What are you hastily scribbling? Shouldn't you be singing or looking at notes?"

"I have a writing assignment. You know, creative writing homework..."

"Oh, yes. Yes, the multipath taking over your life. I'm just waiting to see how long this lasts. You're a stubborn one."

"Nolan!" I erupted then regained my composure, "Don't you have any other sophomore and junior acquaintances to ask to Homecoming. I mean I bet a few of them are just dying to go with 'Nolan-That-Senior-Guy-With-Impecable-Hair.'"

"Is that what girls call me around here? Good. I have a pretty great reputation. Adel would be proud of me for that. And to give an answer no I'm not interested in asking anybody else. I made the mistake of asking an underclassmen. I will jus have to master up the courage to reject."

Germaine coughed. Then she coughed louder. I knew what her intentions were but Nolan didn't. Germaine wanted to be asked out to Homecoming by Nolan. She was willing to give up the date she had just secured today with Simon. Thankfully Nolan didn't get the idea. 

"Well, I believe I'm keeping Germaine here from her practice so I best be going."

"Bye, Nolan," Germaine said a little let down.

"Bye," I mumbled to myself curtly. 

Author's Note: What do you think of the sisterly friendship Nolan has? Will Juliette get any of the parts? Comment!

If you liked this chapter, don't forget to vote.