Part 1

Part 1 (664 words)

Tony Stark and Pepper Potts were in the middle of a conversation when their AI Jarvis suddenly interrupted them.

"Sir the telephone, I'm afraid my protocols are being overridden..."

"Mr. Stark, we need to talk." a voice belonging to the one and only Agent Coulson said with haste. Tony wasted no time in grabbing his phone and childishly acting like a robot in an attempt to avoid talking to the shield agent.

"You have reached the life model decoy of Tony Stark. Please leave a message."

"This is urgent," Coulson said sternly.

"Then leave it urgently," Tony said as the elevator doors to his penthouse atop Stark Tower started to open.

"Security breach. It's on you." Tony said with a finger pointed to Pepper who just playfully rolled her eyes.

"Phil! Come in." Pepper said sweetly as she stood up with a glass of wine in her hand from the couch she and Tony were sitting on.

"Phil?" Tony questioned Pepper as he too stood up from the couch to follow Pepper as she approached the elevator doors. "Pretty sure his first name is 'Agent'..."

Pepper, deciding it best to ignore Tony's antics, welcomed the agent into her home.

"Come on in. We're celebrating." Pepper started before Tony interrupted her.

"Which is why he can't stay."

"We need you to look this over as soon as possible." Agent Coulson said as he held a folder out in front of Tony.

"I don't like being handed things."

"That's fine because I love to be handed things. So let's trade." Pepper said as she and Coulson exchanged her drink for the folder. She then grabbed Tony's drink and quickly passed the folder into his now empty hand. "Thank you."

"Official consulting hours are between eight and nine every other Thursday." Tony sassed Agent Coulson.

"This isn't a consultation."

"Is this about the Avengers?" Pepper asked innocently. "W-which I know nothing about..."

"The Avengers Initiative was scrapped, I thought. A-and I didn't even qualify," Tony said as he started walking towards a workbench.

"I didn't know that either."

"Yeah, apparently I'm volatile, self-obsessed, and don't play well with others."

"That I did know," Pepper smirked.

"This isn't about personality profiles anymore." Agent Coulson responded.

"Whatever. Ms. Potts, got a sec?" Tony sassed as he uploaded Coulson's folder onto his computer stationed at the work-bench.

"Half a mo." Pepper held up one finger to Coulson as she made her way over to Tony. "This seems serious. Phil's pretty shaken."

"How would you know if it's... Wait, why is he 'Phil'?" Tony asked as he looked at Pepper suspiciously.

"What is all this?" Pepper questioned half out of curiosity at all the images and documents shuffling across Tony's small computer screen and half to change the subject.

"This is uh, well, this," Tony muttered while expanding his computer screen to ten times the size using hologram-like devices.

"I'm going to take the jet to D.C. tonight," Pepper said after a minute of looking over the files, images, and videos now displayed in front of her.

"Tomorrow."

"You have homework. A lot of homework."

"What if I didn't?"

"Tell you what I'll..." Pepper started before leaning in to whisper something into Tony's ear as he made shocked yet happy faces in response.

"Square deal. Fly safe." Tony agreed before giving Pepper a sweet kiss goodbye.

"Work hard." Pepper encouraged Tony as she walked over to the elevator doors where Coulson was still standing. "So, any chance you're driving by LaGuardia Airport?"

"I can drop you." Coulson offered as he and Pepper entered the elevator.

"Perfect!"

"Oh, wait. Mr. Stark, there's some new files in there. We actually need you to go and make a new friend." Coulson quickly disclosed as the elevator doors shut.

"Ugh, I hate making new friends. Jarvis?"

"Yes sir?"

"Send out suit five to go and collect our new friend would ya?"

"Yes sir."

"Great, guess I better start my homework now..."

:)