Part 8

Part 8 (1247 Words)

While Violet was exploring the halls and peeking her head into some of the rooms she overheard a heated conversation.

"She can't...risk...listen to me." Violet put her ear against the door where the conversation was taking place right on the other side but still couldn't hear much better. "I think it's time...it's a matter of respect!"

Violet looked around to see if there was another way to eavesdrop and luckily enough there was a vent connected to around half the rooms on this level. She quickly stepped into the empty room next door, stood on a chair, pulled the vent cover off, and hoisted herself up into the vent.

"Director Fury I strongly believe it is time for her to know the truth," Nat argued. Violet slowly shimmied through the vent till she could hear the conversation perfectly.

"Not yet. She doesn't have enough control over her powers." Fury argued back. "Finding out what happened to her parents, how she got her powers, it almost killed her last time."

"If we were there, if Shield had gotten to her first then none of that would have happened." Nat countered.

"What if she actually kills someone this time? What if she turns another building to ash?"

"They're talking about me?" Violet gasped softly as she put all the puzzle pieces together.

"We have more pressing matters to attend to right now," Fury stated as he harshly brushed past Nat, and left her alone in the room.

"I don't know how much you heard. But just know I'm on your side." Nat said before following after Fury, Violet wasn't sure how the agent had discovered her but that was the last thought on her mind once she felt someone pulling her out of the vent by her ankles.

"Don't you know it's rude to eavesdrop, kid?" Cap said with a chuckle. Violet could tell from the stress line on his forehead that he wasn't too happy about something. She was about to apologize but Cap spoke up again. "Look what I found. Think it's time to ask Fury some questions. Don't you?"

"Oh, you have no idea..." Violet muttered with an angry nod.

As the two of them quickly walk down the hall Violet took a better look at the weapon in Cap's hand. She was so preoccupied studying it, or rather constructing mental blueprints of its construction and functions she didn't even notice the two of them had made it back to the lab till Cap slammed the gun onto a steel table.

"Sorry, the computer was moving a little slow for me," Cap said sassily to Tony.

"Rogers, we gathered everything related to the tesseract. This does not mean that we're making..." Fury started before Tony interrupted him.

"I'm sorry Nick, what were you lying?" Tony sassed as he turned a computer screen around to show everyone the blueprints Shield developed for the very gun Cap brought in. At that moment Nat and Thor walked into the room. Violet nodded politely to Thor as he stood beside her, intrigued by the conversation at hand.

"Did you know about this?" Bruce asked Nat, the pain of betrayal clearly laced in his voice.

"You want to think about removing yourself from this environment, Doctor?" Nat asks while conveniently avoiding his question.

"I was in Calcutta. I was pretty well removed." He responded while trying his best to stay calm despite being very displeased with the situation.

"Loki is manipulating you." Nat continued.

"And you two have been doing what, exactly?" Bruce quipped while gesturing to both Nat and Fury. "I'd like to know what Shield is doing designing weapons of mass destruction."

"Because of them," Fury says as he points in Violet's and Thor's direction.

"Me? Wait? Her too?" Thor asks while pointing to himself then Violet in udder confusion.

"Last year earth had a visitor from another planet, who had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that not only are we not alone but we are hopelessly, hilariously, outgunned." Fury started.

"My people want nothing but peace with your planet," Thor argued.

"But you're not the only people out there are you? You're not the only threat," Fury said while looking directly at Violet.

"I'm not a threat," Violet said as Thor put a protective hand on her shoulder to prevent her from doing something she'd regret, like attacking Fury.

"The world is filling up with people who can't be matched, that can't be controlled," Fury said again as he briefly looked around the group stopping to stare at Violet for a second longer than the others.

"Like you controlled the cube?" Cap quipped, no one in the room was more disappointed than he was, especially since he had finally placed his trust in the organization again after being deceived by them when he woke up from the ice.

"Your work with the tesseract is what drove Loki to it, and his allies," Thor yelled angrily. "It is a symbol to all the realms that earth is ready for a higher form of war."

"A higher form?" Cap questioned.

"You forced our hand. We had to come up with something." Fury tried to reason.

"A nuclear deterrent." Tony started. "Because that always calms everything right down..."

"Remind me again how you made your fortune Stark?" Fury sassed.

"I'm sure if he still made weapons, Stark would be neck-deep..." Cap started before Tony interrupted him.

"Woah, woah. Hold on. How is this now about me?" Tony wondered, the aggravated tone in his voice not going unmissed by anyone.

Violet tried to stay focused on the conversation at hand, hoping she could intervene and force these grown adults to act more like their age, but couldn't quite focus. There was a buzzing in the air, the same sound a tv makes when it is tuned to the wrong channel. The noise was getting louder and causing Violet's head to throb.

"Oh, I'm sorry, isn't everything?" Cap sassed back.

"I thought humans were more evolved than this?" Thor asked Fury with an aggravated tone similar to Tony's. As the argument continued to heat up, so did the volume of the static. Which only continued to make Violet's head more clouded, and tenser.

"Excuse me, did we come to your planet and blow stuff up?" Fury countered. This set off a chain reaction of arguments Nat and Steve were yelling, then Steve and Tony. Tony naturally took a turn sassing everyone.

Violet squeezed her eyes shut in pain and tried to breathe through the pain as she clutched her head with one hand and held her balance with the other, using the steel table with the weapon on it as support till finally, her head felt like it was going to burst open.

"ENOUGH!" Violet shouted, causing some of her flames to scorch the ground around her, what was more surprising than her outburst was the way the tesseract flew across the room, almost impaling Nat if it wasn't for her good reflexes, and into Violet's outstretched hand.

"Violet, put down the scepter," Cap ordered. Realization of how the team had been acting hit one another like a bucket of cold water once they saw Violet blink confusingly before laying the scepter down next to the gun on the steel table.

"You good kid?" Nat asked but before Violet could respond the computer scanning for the tesseract started beeping indicating it had pinpointed it general local.

:)