Chapter 8: Lessons in Nightlife

Chapter 8:

Monday.

Hell. Niall woke up smiling at memories of the night before, but by about three in the afternoon he was bored out of his mind. She was like a drug; he was addicted to spending time with her. The worst part was that he couldn't get in touch with her because she had no phone. And he couldn't text Danny to ask about her; that would be weird.

He groaned in frustration. What if he drove around a found them? Would that be too- yes, yes that would be extremely creepy. He sighed and picked up his guitar. Only a little over 24 hours until he would see her again. It was going to be another very long day.

***

 Soleil wasn't doing much better. She was distracted; every blond boy looked like him, every Irish accent sounded like him. Danny wasn't helping; every ten minutes he would exclaim loudly and point, claiming a "sighting." By the time they stopped for a late lunch, Soleil was exhausted. She had been giddy and incandescently happy when she got back to her room, not even Danny's horrified expression at her choice of footwear could ruin her mood. Therefore, she hadn't been able to fall asleep for several hours and was now exhausted. Plus, she and Danny had been walking all over the city and her body was on high alert, waiting for a glimpse of Niall.

She plopped into her chair with a groan. "My feet are killing me," she complained, removing her shoes. She and Danny were seated at a cute little caf\u00e9 with an outdoor patio that looked onto a bustling street.

Danny grinned. "I bet Niall kept you very busy last night. Are you sore all over?"

She glared and punched his arm. "We didn't have sex! You were in the room when we got back; you know we didn't do anything."

He smirked and shrugged. "You didn't have to do it in our room. Maybe he took you back to his place. Hell, maybe you did it in his car for all I know."

"Danny!" She scolded. "I can assure you that we did not do it in his car, or his house, or anywhere else for that matter! What kind of girl do you take me for?"

She feigned hurt and pouted at him. He reached over the table and ruffled her hair, earning himself a scowl.

"I don't know, Soleil. You're all brace and confident and trying all these new things, maybe you want to take a ride on the Niall train."

"Oh God," she said with a look of horror on her face. "Please, please never, ever say that again."

He chuckled and watched, amused, as a blush crept into her cheeks. "I'm glad I can still make you blush, Sole," he said seriously. "After Cam- well, you know how you were. You shut down and got really messed up about him. And you got so strong and stubborn and you'd fly off the handle if anyone told you that you couldn't do something. Don't get me wrong, I'm so glad that you're more sure of yourself, and you're determined to see the world and really find yourself, but I love it when you blush because it reminds me that you're human, and you still get embarrassed, and you're not too good for me. I know you want to leave your past behind, Sole, but I really hope you don't leave me behind too."

She looked sadly up at him and took one of his hands in both of hers.

"I am so sorry, Danny. I don't think I'm too good for you, and I'll never leave you, I promise. You were there for me through everything and I'll never forget that. I love you so much, I hope you know that. You've always looked out for me and even though sometimes I hate when you go big-brother on me, I know you always have my back."

His lips curved up slightly in a small, wistful smile.

"Yeah, Sole, I know. I love you too. Anyways, sorry for being a downer and killing the mood," he chuckled, but it sounded a little forced. "I want to hear all about your date, since you were 'too tired' to tell me about it last night."