Chapter 13: Sunshine

"Soleil?"

"Hmm," she mumbled, snuggling deeper into her bed and drifting back to sleep. She started moving slightly; no, not moving-shaking. Her shoulder was shaking. In her disoriented, sleep-muddled state, Soleil's mind tried to put it together. Why was her shoulder shaking? Was there an earthquake? What-

"Soleil," the voice said, louder this time. The voice was male and vaguely familiar, but not Danny's. It then occurred to her that this voice-or the body connected to the voice-was the one shaking her shoulder. As she became more aware of the shaking, she felt tingles, like a wildfire, spreading through her arm and radiating from her shoulder where a warm hand was resting. She may have not recognized the voice yet but her body's reaction was unmistakable.

"Come on, Soleil wake up," the voice pleaded.

Involuntarily, she smiled. The voice was begging her like a petulant child. Sleepily, she blinked open her eyes.

"Oh!" She exclaimed in surprise.

The room was dark, except for a small light from a cell-phone screen that illuminated her visitor. His face was in the shadows, but she'd recognize those eyes anywhere.

"Niall!" What are you doing here?" She whisper-shouted as she let out a yawn.

He grinned. "You promised to let me pick what we did today. So come on, get up."

She yawned. "What time is it?"

Shaking his head, he responded, "I'm not gonna tell you! Just get up!"

He gave her the irresistible puppy dog face and stood and walked out of the room. "I'll wait out here for you to get changed. Dress in shorts and make sure you wear sneakers!"

Grumbling, she got up and threw the covers off of her before shivering as the cold air hit her skin. It was early-or late; there was no light seeping through the window. She almost checked her phone for the time, but then decided it was probably better I she didn't know. Obeying Niall's orders, she slipped on black Nike athletic shorts and a bright pink, loose fitting tank top before pulling her wavy hair roughly into a ponytail.

"Soleil hurry up," Niall's voice permeated the door with excitement. She cursed under her breath as she ran to the adjoining bathroom and brushed her teeth in record time. She didn't have time to put on makeup, but it'd have to do. Niall wouldn't mind, she was sure of it.

Opening up the door she revealed his figure, grinning at her in the dark. "Follow me," he whispered enthusiastically as he led her to the garage.

They got in his car and as the lights came on, Soleil noticed that he was carrying two coffee cups from a shop down the street.

"What's that?" She asked curiously.

"A white chocolate mocha for you and peppermint mocha for me," he said handing her the cup with a smile.

"How did you know that's my favorite?" She exclaimed gratefully as she took the steaming cup in her shivering hands.

"Lucky guess?" He replied with an embarrassed laugh.

She smiled and snuggled deeper into her seat, suspecting that he had texted Danny about the drink. The thought that he would go that far to get her favorite drink warmed her up more than the drink itself. Niall turned on the heat and pulled out of the garage.

"You can go back to sleep, you know. It might take us a while to get there."

"I'm good," she replied with a smile. "I've got my coffee to drink and you to talk to. I wouldn't want to miss it."