Chapter 18: Reunions

            When Soleil woke the next morning, Kylie was gone. Even before she opened her eyes, Soleil could feel the emptiness of the room without the dark haired girl. When she sat up and took in the room, she saw that all of Kylie’s things were gone. The only thing she had left was a small note scribbled on a ripped sheet of paper and left next to Soleil’s bed.

Soleil,

 I’m so sorry I left without getting a chance to say goodbye to you. I talked to my father last night and he wants me to come stay with him and his family for a few weeks so that we can try to build a relationship. I just want to get started knowing him as soon as possible, but I am sorry that I had to leave you so abruptly. I really enjoyed spending time with you and I hope that our paths cross again someday. Thank you for giving me the courage to go after my father; whatever happens with us I believe it’s better to have tried than to have given up. I hope you have the same courage in your life and you chase after all your dreams and you reach them. As the French say, bon chance!

 Kylie

Soleil smiled and tucked the note into her bag. She was sad about losing her new friend, but she knew that Kylie’s new relationship with her father was more important than some sightseeing. It seemed like everyone Soleil knew had a less than great relationship with his or her parents. Everyone except Niall, that is. He didn’t seem to have any demons in his family life and that was something she envied. Feeling suddenly nostalgic, she quickly dialed Niall’s number.

 He picked up after only two rings. “Hey sunshine! What’s up?”

 "Nothing much,” she smiled. “I just miss you. What have you been up to?”

 “Well considering I just woke up, I haven’t done much today….”he joked and she laughed along. “I’ve been just hanging out here, I was actually working on some music yesterday.”

 “Really? Are you writing a new song?”

 He sighed in frustration and she could imagine him running a hand through his hair. “Nah, I was mostly just messing around. I’m not feeling any inspiration lately. It’s harder than I thought it would be to concentrate here.”

 “But I thought you were on a break,” Soleil responded in confusion. “Didn’t you go home to get away from work for a little while?”

 His laughter sounded through the phone and she smiled wistfully, wishing she could hear it in person. “I guess you’re right. It’s just hard to take a break after working all the time and living on a tour bus and stuff.”

 “Yeah that must be weird. But I’m sure when you get here and have to start getting ready for your next tour you’re going to wish you were back at home.”

 “Probably,” he admitted. “But it’s not that bad, I’ve learned to just take everything as it comes. You gotta live day by day to get by in this lifestyle.”

 “I can’t even imagine that; not having a plan or anything. It must be nice to just pick up and leave all the time.”

 Niall chuckled. “It’s not really like that. We have strict schedules when we’re recording and on tour and everything is planned down to the last minute. It gets pretty crazy sometimes.”

 Soleil frowned and lay back down on her tiny bed. “How do you put up with that? With not being in control? I don’t think I could handle it.”

 “It does get stressful and hard sometimes, but I just remind myself how lucky I am to live this life and have all these amazing opportunities. It comes with a price but it’s one I’ll gladly pay to be able to do everything I get to do.” Niall was so solemn and Soleil could tell that he really was thankful for what he had. It made her miss him that much more and she wished she were curled up on his couch with him listening to him tell her everything in person.