Chapter 2.6 - Filou

Filou's eyes fixed on the bundle lying there in the sand as if it had been washed up by the capricious sea of the Neverseas. No matter how long you lived here, somehow you never knew what to prepare for. In Neverland, ANYTHING could happen. And especially with Peter Pan and his gang or the Indians, as a pirate, you always had to be prepared for anything - no matter how insane it might seem to a sober mind. It could always be an ambush or one of the 'games' of the lost. Moreover ... it would have fit the nature of the lice-ridden boys from the forest. Here in this place, everyone was out for himself - each grouping fighting for the most advantageous hand in this card game where there were no rules. Cheating, lying, betraying - everything was allowed. Zinged cards, help from the fairies, or sleight of hand.

His eyes narrowed as he raised his weapon, ready to pierce the man - whose follower he would prove to be - with a thrust. But then the figure in the many layers of cloth turned his head. Filou's eyes swept over caked hair full of sand, making it appear almost white. A seaweed had become entangled in the waves that framed a narrow face that could not begin to resemble a man or a fellow in delicacy. Even if one had wanted to believe it or had drunk his brain away with rum. Only on the second and more deliberate look, he recognized the layers of cloth, which were also full of sand, as a dress. The mate's features crumbled apart. Stunned, the pirate stared at what was before him: a WOMAN.

It took more than a dozen heartbeats for it to actually seep into his mind. For a brief moment, the instinct stirred in him to back away. There were only four kinds of female beings in Neverland: The spent whores in the pirate town who were mounted by the pirates like bitches in heat. The mermaids, who undoubtedly DID NOT venture to the beach, especially not here in Cannibal Grove, where the crocodiles populated the waters like rats. No, they preferred to cavort in their lagoon, where you never knew which side of this 'game' they were going to belong to today. Then there were the sirens. The deadly beauties of these seas, who had already drawn many a and preferably drunken sailor into the depths to eat him there and leave nothing but the bones. To die for a kiss... no, he certainly did not intend to do that. Remained, at last, the fairies. Whoever tried to see the fairies or whatever you call the little people and as figures of light or lucky charms... had to be a very naive or wrongly wound person. They were devilish beings who tried to hide their corrupted and poisonous nature with their beautiful faces. An apple that was already rotten on the inside but fresh and red-cheeked on the outside, so that one could put it in the basket unmolested - and then watch it rot one after the other.

The superstitious helped themselves with all sorts of knickknacks - from horseshoes to archways, salt in front of doors and windows, cold-forged iron. Fairies... were not directly evil, at least not all of them. They were chaos. They embodied volatility and flightiness. Fairies were playful, beings- but for their amusement, they made everyone else jump the shark... like Neverland. The island was like the fairies and reflected their essence from the ground up. It seemed idyllic, beautiful, colorful, and diverse. But behind it lurked a dangerous grimace. Dangers at every corner. Crocodiles in the gentle flow of the river, poison on colorful plants, curses behind pretty lips. All was not necessarily as it seemed...

Not infrequently, over the many years, he had witnessed the pirates tearing the wings off the winged fireflies with a gleeful thirst for revenge.... and worse. Many on board knew the limits only when the captain drew them. With the crew - but not outside. Mercy God on a woman if pirates got their hands on her. There were generally not many females in Neverland - the 'savages' and those whores in Red Dagger's pirate town, which as a Neutral Territory allowed everyone to 'get their rocks off'.