Chapter 7.9 - Peter Pan

The bond between twins... it was thicker, more tightly woven than any hemp rope of the natives. You couldn't separate their souls - even Neverland's oblivion hadn't managed it in all these years. Nog and Fog proved this well, for one was never found without the other. Constantly running around somewhere together, in battle, it was as if they shared the same mind, seeing the other's thoughts even before he saw it himself. One soul in two bodies and with the same, sometimes wide awake and sometimes just stupid mind.

Oh yes, things were protected from the island's influence that that essence could not lay upon - that Neverland would never imbue. But how could that be possible? There was no such clear answer. Peter had long tried to understand why the fine gold so quickly reached out to cut some bonds.... and showed itself powerless on others.

His gaze rested thoughtfully on Jake, the older brother's desperate expression one of more than concern. In the dilated pupils stood... Mortal fear. Peter could understand him very well indeed. How many times had he arrived at Hangman's Tree, completely exhausted from the long sprint through the woods or a long flight, laughing at the adventure that had not yet wholly evaporated...? and only then had he noticed that not all the boys were running behind him. And it could always be the inveterate lost ones who never found their way back to the Tree - because fate decided otherwise. Peter had never coped well with the oppressive feeling of unease, the frantic question: When did I see him last?

And then everything had to be reviewed. But usually, there were no more valuable details to lead one to the answer. He could also see this panic in Jake's features, which hardened as Nibs spoke. The way the pip's muscles tensed, his fingers clenched into fists, twitching slightly, and the venomous glance flashed over his shoulder at the older man. These taunts and trench warfare were daily - even in situations like this. Peter's gaze also slid to Nibs, who was facing him with a firm expression, still not trying to hide his doubts from Jake.

And he was right, whether the newcomer liked it or not. Scouring the forest for Luke was a considerable risk, especially since they wouldn't have been able to move along the treetops. Bushes, low trees, and greenery were too thick on the ground, so a prostrate body would hardly have been visible from above. But danger lurked below among deep green fronds and dry foliage that made the footsteps of clumsy searchers easily audible. And anything that was truly hungry would make no difference between a deer and a kicking lost person. They might all be skilled, good climbers, and quick to duck into hiding - but there was no hiding their scent and frightened breaths. Once the beasts caught you, or if someone fell into a trap through clumsiness - a second boy would already be injured. So Nib's piercing gaze was not entirely unfounded, but Peter was not new to the arguments between him and the Pips either.

The golden glowing eyes flew from Jake to Slightly, who stepped forward with a severe expression. It was a strange sight not to see the cheerful young man smiling - typically, the mischievous features were always twisted by a broad grin. A small warning signal for Peter that he did not intend to ignore. Questioningly, his attention now turned to Nibs, whose justification was not long in coming. Peter's brows drew together with seriousness and thoughtfulness as he listened to the lost.

Of course, they bickered; after all, no one wanted to be blamed for the mess... but they showed their leader at least one thing quite impressively: Luke's disappearance was not his fault. Peter almost laughed - almost - if this whole mess wasn't really about to happen. Who had come up with the damned idea to put a PIP on James Hook's coat? Surely this could only go wrong? And yes - Peter too would have liked to know why it was not a prodigal, an experienced fighter who had broken into the cabin... but someone who had only held a saber four or five times in his life. It was true that newcomers were not spared because of their inexperience - but they were not usually given the most critical tasks in a raid or when they played tricks. This had more to do with success than with their safety... but nevertheless, this unspoken rule had been in place ever since Peter brought in freshlings.