Chapter One

LOUIS' POV

I was walking down the wide, clean sidewalk of Sutton Lane in London when my stomach rumbled loudly. It didn't really surprise me, maybe because the last time I had been with my friend Niall Horan was a few days ago. He always ate and that made me eat a lot more than I normally did-just so he wouldn't look lonely. I liked that lad, though; his eating habits were just a bit more extreme than mine. As I felt the hunger pop again I looked down the street for some kind of café. I spotted a coffee shop about 100 meters down called Sarah's Coffee Location, and I started walking towards it with a sudden swiftness.

The coffee shop was nice-looking; dark and pleasantly colors on the floor and walls and modern designed furniture. The place smelled like coffee beans and freshly baked cake like it always does in the good coffee shops. It looked like I had chosen a good place once and for all! When I didn't go to the expensive American shop Starbucks I usually found a normal coffee shop to get a cup of something, but in these my luck never really showed. Most of the time I got a bad latte with too much milk or a cup of something that was just badly made. I always tried to look on the positive side of things and be happy, but even though I wasn't the criticizing type I couldn't help but dislike bad coffee-maybe that's why I drank so much tea. Or maybe it's just because I'm British.

I walked up to the ordering station and looked through the drinking menu; I decided for a cappuccino with skimmed milk. Then, I noticed that no employee was standing by the cash register in front of me. I awkwardly stood and waited for a moment before a girl came rushing out of the small kitchen behind the visible part of the coffee bar. She put a glazed chocolate cake down in the showcase in front of me and stood up to face me. "Sorry about that," she said, referring to her not being able to serve me. I smiled at her as to say that it didn't matter.

The girl was wearing a dark green apron and a tight, black polo as uniform. On her breast pocket was a small and almost unreadable nametag, telling me her name was Jessica. Her long, dark brown hair was wavy and hung in a loose and elegant ponytail across her shoulder, probably only tied up because someone higher than her working position told her to. Her eyes were piercingly grey, but not in a bad way; it was more like they somehow made me want to stare into them for hours. They were simply just strikingly. Her long eyelashes were blacker than I had ever seen alike before and her lips were as perfectly shaped as a raindrop. She was what you would define as beautiful.

"Can I take your order?" she asked me. For a second I forgot my order and had to look back up at the drinking menu. "A cappuccino with skimmed milk, please," I hurriedly answered her and looked down at the cakes in the showcase in front of me. My eyes spotted a cake with white, creamy frosting and a carrot made of fondant on the top. "This doesn't happen to be carrot cake, does it?" The employee named Jessica nodded. "It is." A grin slowly spread on my lips. Carrots. "Then let me have a piece, thank you!"

"Okay," she said and typed my order on the cash register. "That will be £2,80." I took out my wallet and paid her £3 in cash. "Thank you," she said, but looked a bit in wonder at the money in her hand. "I'm just tipping," I said and smiled at her.

"Oh. Thanks." She told me my order would be done soon and that I could wait at the delivering station, so that was what I did.

I watched as she prepared my coffee by pushing a lot of buttons and pull a lot of handles. She managed to do it gracefully, but I knew that if I were in her place I would look foolish-not that I didn't look foolish while doing other things. I liked fooling around and even though I was 21, I was still afraid of growing up. Therefore, I acted like a kid way too often.

The girl finished making my coffee and cut a big piece of carrot cake for me. She came over to the delivery station and handed me the coffee saying, "Cappuccino with skimmed milk" and then placed the cake in front of me with a simple "Carrot cake."