Chapter Seven

LOUIS’ POV

We were walking closely together with our arms pulled around each other, when we exited the amusement park. Jessica was talking lively about how great it had been to try her favorite rides, since she was quite of a daredevil, but my thoughts were centered about something entirely else—like how I throughout the past week had been desiring to ask her to go public with me and officially become my girlfriend. We acted like we were together in so many ways, but still she managed to keep us down on what she called a “reasonable level” … but why? The thought of staying like we were, like this, was unbearable. On the other hand, if I told her, she might reject me; and in the worst case end things between us.

And I didn’t want that to happen, ever.

I was some of a torn mess.

When we got to my car I couldn’t take it any longer. It was impossible to overlook the thoughts that were spinning around in my head like crazy. If I didn’t act now, I doubted that I ever would.

I loosened my grasp around her waist and jerked my head a little as I turned to her. By gently pushing her up against the car, I pinned her right in the place I wanted her to be. I leaned closer in to her and enjoyed the wonderful feeling of her warm breathing against my neck. Then I closed the last gap between us and kissed her. 

She pressed her lips harder onto mine with a strong passion and messed up my hair good and thoroughly, as she drove her hands through it. I could almost feel the delighted and pleased smile spreading on her lips beneath mine.

Even though I wanted to move on, I pulled away from the impassioned kiss—in the end it all just got too much, I guess ...

I couldn’t back out now: I had to ask her.

“Jess,” I said and gazed into her beautiful grey eyes, that looked so much like they were never going to hurt anyone—maybe they wouldn’t hurt me tonight, either? “I want to take this, our relationship, to the next level. By going public.” I kept staring into her eyes to see if anything in them changed. Was she going to accept what I wanted, or reject me?

I bit my lower lip in pure concern. How did I end up in this miserable situation?

Jessica barely shook her head when she pulled me closer to her. “Let’s keep it this way,” she told me and I felt the disappointment strike me, cutting me like a knife.

Even though this was not what I had hoped to hear, I couldn’t break things off between us and let her go. She meant too much to me.

Jessica was acting completely like she didn’t see the pain in my face, when she swiftly leaned in and kissed me lightly on the lips.

The soft melody of The Fray, that was my ringtone, started playing from somewhere on my kitchen table: “You can never say never, while we don’t know when, but time and time again. Younger now than we were before.” My hands fumbled through the mess of old newspapers, schoolbooks and empty and finished dining plates as I tried to find the haunt of my ringtone. My fingertips finally touched something familiar and I grabbed my phone and pulled it out from under the covers. I smacked it up against my ear and said a quick, “Hello!” to the person in the other end.

“It’s me, Lou!” I smiled when I heard the deep sound of Harry’s voice through the speaker.

“Hi Hazza!” I screamed into the microphone as a—loud—greeting.

“Well, good morning to you too,” he said a few seconds later, a bit peevishly. I didn’t mind apologizing to him.

“So tell me, why are you calling me this early? You could have woken me up from my beauty sleep.”