four

Winston State University was a historic black university. The prestigious school was located in Ithaca and was founded in 1877 as a boarding school for young black men but later transitioned to an all-gender college for young African Americans who wanted to pursue an education. Throughout the years, the school's knowledge and the curriculum expanded. Winston State University offers more than fifty programs. Students can explore and expand their knowledge with minors and campus life. Winston has more than one hundred clubs, student leadership programs, academic and social activities, internships, study programs, and so much more.

Over the years, the school received multiple makeovers and add-ons. Around 1960, the school was moved to Syracuse. Winston settled there with several modifications. The college was huge and had various buildings that led to several places.

Summer looked around the campus and realized how quiet and empty it was. No one was around, and that seemed to alarm her. It was the first day, so she expected to see several students walking around the campus and carrying on with their friends and partners.

"Hey."

She looked over her shoulder and realized a tall woman was standing behind her. She had pale skin, and her curly hair was blonde. Summer almost mistook her for a white woman until she realized she was biracial.

"...Hey." Summer replied awkwardly as she turned around to get a full view of the girl. She looked comfortable, as if this wasn't her first time on campus. The woman wore a hoodie, sweatpants, and a pair of UGG platform slippers. Her hair was pulled into a neat bun, and transparent glasses sat on the tip of her dainty nose.

"I guess you're new here." She pointed out. "What's your name?"

"Summer."

"That's cute." The girl smirked and said, "I'm Cassie."

"Nice to meet you." Summer gave her the once over. "You're not a freshman?"

"I'm a senior, actually," Cassie responded while sipping on the Starbucks beverage in her hand. She eyed Summer and her attire. "Are you transferring here, or is it your first day?"

"It's my first day...." Summer trailed off while checking her buzzing phone. When she noticed she had a text, she decided to put her phone away. She would check it out later.

"So, you're the freshman." Cassie pointed out with a smirk. "Where you headed to?"

"I'm supposed to meet my friend in the dining hall, but I don't know where it's located. I thought I remembered after getting a tour, but...I'm lost."

"I can show you where it's at."

Summer breathed out relief and said, "Good."

The women proceeded to walk in the direction of the dining hall. While strolling through the campus, Summer couldn't help but realize how neat and manicured the lawn was. The grass was emerald green and embroidered with blooming lilies. Tall linden trees were planted in certain spots. Squirrels raced back and forth—from the trees to the grass. A few banners were hanging around some of the buildings.

Summer loved the atmosphere at Winston State University. She could feel the pressure releasing from her body. Being independent and living on her own made her feel good. She ran her fingers through her long weave and rubbed her glossed lips together.

"How do you like Winston?" Summer questioned Cassie.

Summer wasn't a huge extrovert, but she wasn't an introvert. The woman was in-between. She didn't like being put on the spot unexpectedly, but she loved receiving positive attention when necessary.