nineteen

The funeral lasted two hours. Summer sat with Rashad on the family side, quietly observing. Rows of mourners dressed in dark attire filled the room. Grief covered the atmosphere as eulogies were shared, memories recounted, and tears shed in quiet remembrance.

As the service progressed, the family took turns viewing the body, finding peace in their final moments with Earvin. Summer refrained from joining them. She was afraid of corpses and didn't want to scare herself. She chose to remain seated, a respectful distance from the open casket, not wanting to subject herself to an experience that would only intensify her fears.

The repast took place at Rashad's grandmother's house. Friends and family members all gathered to continue the celebration of Earvin. Dishes covered the tables as the women moved around making plates.

Summer's thoughts were abruptly halted when Tameka entered within the line of her sight. She sat nearby, observing her from a distance through narrowed eyes. Rashad was engaged in a warm embrace with his mother, who whispered words into his ear with her eyes closed. She patted him on the back before they pulled away.

I can't stand this bitch. Summer said to herself as she eyed her with a wrinkled nose.

"Join the club."

Immediately, Summer looked up and realized it was Rashad's aunt, Demetria. The middle-aged woman stood there with her stout stature. Demetria prettified herself in a knee-length black dress that elegantly hugged her form. She paired it with low-heeled shoes, ensuring her stockings would match her caramel complexion. Her long hair was styled into a French bun, and she decorated her facial features with heavy makeup.

"I said join the club," Demetria responded with a stern expression on her face. "I don't understand why she's even invited."

Summer shook her head before saying, "Oh, I—"

"Girl, you don't have to lie. I saw that look on your face." Demetria interjected as she wiped her sweaty forehead with a towel. Summer was puzzled about the woman sweating. They were in New Jersey, and it was November, basically the winter. Demetria had no business sweating. She surveyed the woman again and realized she was holding a glass. Summer assumed it was some strong alcohol. Probably gin.

"After all the shit she put my brother through. If it were up to me, she wouldn't have stepped foot through those church doors, let alone be in my mama's house."

Summer continued to stay quiet, and Demetria decided to blather away.

"That slew-footed hoe is not to be trusted." She pointed out while glancing at Summer. "What did she do to you?"

"Um..." Summer trailed off while trying to figure out the right words. She didn't want to spill her business to Demetria because the woman looked like she talked a lot. "We just don't get along."

"Mmhm. Well, I don't blame you for keeping your distance from her. My brother received a $60,000 settlement from his job. He injured his back and couldn't work anymore." Demetria continued to run her mouth. "$60,000, and do you know what that bitch did?"

Summer shook her head slowly, not wanting to entertain the mess but wanting to get the tea.

"That bitch drained every penny my brother had. Got herself a car and even bought one for her daughter. Then, six months later, she up and left him. Earvin was left with nothing. Completely broke. Not a damn thing to his name. She left him high and dry—he couldn't afford to pay his bills, so he had to move back here and stay with mama."

Demetria was showing a different side. When Summer met her, she was calm and composed. Today, she was drinking like a fish and showing her ass. The woman stood there chattering for a long time. One of her children had to pull her away because they figured she was behaving erratically.