twenty-three

[hi! enjoy 🐢]

[I cannot align my story the way I want to. ]

❁❁❁

The unexpected really wasn't expected. Grant had no idea he would be in the middle of Scarsdale for the entire weekend. Annika invited him to a family gathering at the Greystone Manor Country Club.

Every year, Annika's family, on her father's side, would spend three days at the prestigious club. Grant never attended because he wasn't interested in being around rich people. Not only were they rich, but Annika's people were Caucasian. Grant had nothing against white people. He just wasn't used to being around so many.

Annika begged her boyfriend to tag along. She claimed her grandfather insisted he join them on their three-day vacation. Grant had nothing planned, and he was tired of Annika nagging him about spending time together. Hesitantly, he packed his belongings and drove to Scarsdale with her.

The overall experience of staying at the country club was interesting. Grant had a culture shock. There was a significant difference between his lifestyle and Annika's family's. He was slightly confused yet amazed. However, Grant wasn't uncomfortable.

When they arrived at the club, they were greeted by a few members of Annika's family. They were warm and welcoming. Several of them stepped back, observing the giant with admiration. They knew he was Dominick Robinson's son, and they had also been avidly tracking Grant's college basketball career.

"It's nice to see you again, Grant." A soft voice pushed out. Grant looked over and realized it was Annika's grandmother speaking to him. Immediately, he scanned the elder and realized she looked elegant in her attire. Her silver hair was brushed into a bun with a jeweled hairpin securing it. Her subtle makeup enhanced her natural features. The elder wore a tailored blouse with tailored trousers and low-heeled pumps. Her ensemble was accentuated by pearl earrings, a pearl necklace, and a leather tote, adding sophistication to her look. Grant almost mistook her for Queen Elizabeth.

"Nice to see you as well, Mrs. Hightower."

"Don't be too formal." Annika's grandfather interjected as he waved the young man off. He had a thick, Jersey accent. Grant wasn't surprised since Annika mentioned that most of her father's people were from New Jersey. "Call her Vicky."

Immediately, Vicky's eyes were pinpointed on her husband. She knitted her thin eyebrows as she stared at him. She adjusted her body before asking, "Call me Vicky?" There was a hint of amusement in her tone. "You're feeling informal today, aren't you, Larry?"

"Of course," Larry responded with mischief as he met her gaze. Suddenly, he reached out to touch the edge of Grant's elbow. "Grant is practically family already, isn't he?" Annika accompanied his words with a subtle nod. Grant didn't say much.

The aura wasn't tense, and Annika was thankful for that. She watched as her grandmother's mouth curbed into a smirk. She nodded faintly before saying, "Of course he is." She placed her arms around Annika and gave her a firm squeeze. "Grant. If you're going to be in the family, I hope you plan to participate in our basketball tournament."

"Nana, we've been together for eight years." Annika cheesed, eyeing her grandmother. "He's been in the family."

"Wait. What basketball tournament?" Grant questioned them with a perplexed expression. He knew there would be a dinner and gala. However, he was unaware of the other activities. Annika's eyes widened as she watched him stand there perplexedly.

"Every year, we host charity events for Thanksgiving and Christmas," Larry answered carefully. "We usually do galas and fundraising dinners."

Grant continued to watch the elder speak without saying a word.