ten

Dean Conrad Mitchell sat in his leather high-back chair. He thumbed through a thick booklet while eyeing the printed words sternly. He took his left hand and ran it across his stubbled beard. Thick lines creased his tanned-skinned forehead as he tried to concentrate.

Stress was written all over his face. He had his reasonings. Things weren't going smoothly at home and work. The dean's eyes peered at the picture frame on his cherry wood desk. He posed formally with his arm wrapped around his wife's waist. His daughter stood by his side while his son stood beside his wife.

His children were in the process of getting their education. The son, Conrad Junior, had recently graduated from Brown University and was now completing his internship. He had plans to become an architect. The daughter, Shannan, was enrolled at Winston State University. She was in her final year and majoring in art. The dean was satisfied that his daughter attended school. However, he disapproved of her major and current lifestyle. Shannan lived a questionable life that had everyone in her family worried.

The dean's relationship with his children was lackluster, but it didn't compare to his crumbling marriage with his wife, Autumn.

Dean Mitchell had issues with keeping his marriage fun and exciting. He couldn't seem to keep the dates he scheduled with Autumn. The situation bothered her. A lot. He spent a lot of time at the local country club in the heart of Syracuse. The man stayed on the golf course. He was either filling his belly with hors d'oeuvres, throwing back vodka martinis, or golfing.

He closed his eyes briefly to get some peace. At that moment, he felt invincible. The dean felt like he couldn't be touched or bothered by anything. He felt protected in his bubble. There was no nagging wife, no bratty children, no annoying faculty, and certainly no ill-mannered students who constantly badgered him daily.

There were knocks at the door. The dean opened his eyes abruptly and followed it up with a sigh. He sat up in his chair and adjusted his potbelly. Quickly, he organized his desk and instructed the person at the door to come in.

He looked over and blinked a few times. The guest was so random yet expected. After the recent death at the school, he figured someone would be paying him a visit. The sound of heels clicking and clacking against the floors caused him to brace himself. Dean Mitchell could feel the tension brewing.

"Dean Mitchell." The woman spoke in a formal greeting. She shut the door behind herself and walked further into the room.

"Mrs. Mosely." The dean matched her energy while pressing the pads of his fingers together. "How can I help you?"

Mrs. Mosely stood there for a moment. She was too busy eyeing him. A perplexed expression was written across her face. Suddenly, she settled her suitcase inside the chair and cocked her head.

"Dean Mitchell. We have a meeting." She pushed out with emphasis.

The dean eyed her with confusion.

"A meeting?"

"I emailed you yesterday requesting for us to have a meeting. You accepted it."

Quickly, the dean woke up his iMac and went straight to his email. Mrs. Mosely watched as he surfed through his web of emails, trying to find hers.

"I sent it yesterday. The afternoon." She responded softly.

Dean Mitchell did find the email. It was addressed as urgent and sent by Alisa Mosely. He sighed and informed her of the discovery.

"Dr. Bolden is not able to attend the meeting." Mrs. Mosely added while referring to the President of Winston State University, Michael Bolden. "So, I came to discuss the situation...that occurred at the Millard Dormitory."