five

Carlton was a dormitory at Winston State University. It is one of the most luxurious apartment-styled residence halls at the college. Most of the students who resided there were seniors whose parents were more than likely footing their stay.

Most units contained two bedrooms, one bathroom, a kitchen, and a living room. The apartments didn't last long due to their popularity. Grant was fortunate to rent one of the units out. As a freshman, he didn't get a chance to choose the residence hall he desired. Winston State tossed Grant in a random residence hall and didn't think twice about it.

Grant shared the apartment with his close friend, Hugh. He was a heavyset football player who loved to play video games. When not at home, Hugh could be found at a party or either visiting the local bar. Overall, he was a chill guy who loved drinking beer and giving advice. He'd been a very close friend of Grant's since freshman year. The two became friends after a heated disagreement.

"Yo, take cover," Hugh yelled at his laptop as he tapped on the buttons of his joystick.

Grant walked inside just in time to hear his friend shouting at his laptop screen. This was normal, so he wasn't surprised by the random outburst. He locked the door and proceeded to adjust the backpack he was carrying loosely.

"Calm your ass down. It's just a game." Grant teased him as he walked further inside the living space.

"G," Hugh called out while briefly glancing at his friend. "What's up? I'm playing Call of Duty with Darryl."

"Darryl?" Grant reiterated while raising his eyebrows. "That nigga was supposed to be at practice today."

"That's what I'm saying...." Hugh trailed off while focusing on his screen. "Let the coach know he's the reason why y'all can't win a game."

Grant took that as an insult, but he didn't have the energy to counter back. In fact, he couldn't say anything negative about the Winston State Hornets football team. They managed to win a few games—their statistics were good.

Instead, he scoffed and decided to travel to the back. School had finally resumed, and he was now attending as a senior—it was his final year. Grant knew he would be busy due to him playing basketball, working at his dad's printshop, and potentially running for student body president.

Hugh's comment about the basketball team did make him think about the past. The team won many championships. They managed to win the tournament once during Grant's sophomore year. However, they lost last year, which was very disappointing to many people. Grant, on the other hand, didn't get upset.

Suddenly, his thoughts were interrupted. He looked down at his ringing phone and realized it was a call. A smirk appeared across his face because it was Big Mama calling him. The young man wasted no time answering the phone. As expected, the phone instantly connected to his AirPods.

"Mama," Grant called out.

"Hey, baby." Big Mama greeted him warmly. "I called you earlier, but I couldn't get you."

"I know..." He trailed off. "I'm sorry about that. I was at practice and couldn't answer."

"Oh." Big Mama replied in realization. "I have to remind myself that you're back in school."

"Nah, you straight," Grant stated smoothly. "I was going to call you back."

"I just wanted to check on you. Your dad has you going to that school, and it's in Syracuse. What the hell is a Syracuse? I have never been out there."

Grant laughed at his great-grandmother's remark.

"Winston State University is located in Syracuse. It's a good school, mama." He responded. "It's the only black college in New York."