seventeen

[Maybe I hyped this chapter up too much on Twitter but enjoy!😂]

Travelers rushed toward the gates to reunite with their loved ones. Amidst the bustling and echoing expanse of the airport terminal, Summer walked swiftly, trying to keep up with Antoine, Rashad's oldest brother.

The announcements could be heard throughout the place. People were everywhere with their luggage and heavy footsteps. Summer placed her eyes on the arrival board. She scanned it slowly while trying to maintain her cool. Nervousness brewed in the pit of her belly, and she could feel her heart thumping rapidly.

Summer was nervous about seeing her boyfriend. It had been six months since she laid her eyes on him. The last time she saw Rashad, he was being shipped off to Korea to fulfill his duties as a United States soldier. He'd come home to be with his family after the unexpected death of his father.

They stood by the arrival area and waited quietly. Antoine, Rashad's older brother, was busy leaning against the pillar. He glanced at Summer, who was busy tapping away on her iPhone. She wore a look of nervousness and curiosity.

"Summer, you good?" Antoine questioned her. His voice was laced with a brotherly concern.

Summer diverted her eyes toward Antoine and nodded before she could speak. She parted her lips and said, "Yeeaah...." She dragged her words and added, "You know how it is when you're in airports."

Antoine nodded but didn't speak immediately. He sighed before scratching his head.  "Yeah, this shit is hectic. His plane already landed, so he should be getting off soon."

Summer took in the sight of Antoine. It was a quick examination, nothing too invasive. Antoine was heavyset and tall, which was the opposite of Rashad. He had a caramel complexion and wore his hair in long locks that were pretty unkempt. Instead of going the army route, Antoine settled as a truck driver. He drove large trucks to different states and delivered loads of goods. 

Summer's relationship with Antoine was pretty cordial, and that was it. She knew he was married to his high school sweetheart and that Antoine and his wife had five children. There was still so much she didn't know about him. Summer blamed her introverted behavior for that. She didn't come around because of her shyness. 

They had a small conversation while waiting for Rashad. The slender man didn't take long to emerge through the gateway. He was of average height and dressed in military uniform. It was pressed and crisp to perfection, singling him out against the herd of travelers.

When Summer noticed her man, she straightened up. Her heart drummed hard in her chest as she tried to get a clear visual of his face. Rashad wore a hat that hid most of his features as he neared them with his traveling luggage.

She assumed he would walk straight to her, but he didn't. Summer watched as Rashad acknowledged Antoine. They gave each other a brotherly hug and spoke for a few seconds. Antoine looked happy to see his baby brother. He wore a warm smile as joy washed over him.

Summer blinked a few times as she stood there awkwardly. She waited patiently for him to greet her. She had no problem with him speaking with Antoine. However, their conversation lasted too long. She didn't understand why he ignored her. He was the one who told her to come with his brother to the airport.

"You look good, man. I see you've been doing some lifting." Antoine pointed out his brother's muscles.

"Yeah, I'm trying to bulk up," Rashad replied calmly as he moved his arms. He glanced at Summer and neared her. The young man thoroughly examined his girlfriend with a content expression. Summer couldn't tell if he was frustrated with her or just gloomy about his father's death.