Chapter Four

The next day, Savannah woke up even earlier than usual due to the excitement of the start of something new. Her first day of college! She felt extremely anxious, especially considering she didn't have Romeo or her best friends Johanna and Michael with her, but she was starting to feel excited too. She couldn't stop thinking about all the things she would learn throughout the year.

Since it was still so early, the bathroom was empty, which was pleasant. She prepared herself for the day to come and went back to the dorm. She tried to be as quiet as possible, but by her snoring it didn't seem like Pen would wake up even if she picked her guitar and started singing.

Savannah wasn't usually one to overthink about her outfit, but today was different so she struggled to choose something. One of the dresses she usually wore for church would be too much, right? But regular jeans and t-shirt felt too casual. Sighing and giving up on trying to look fancy, she ended up going for a pair of light denim shorts, a white t-shirt and her the flannel shirt she had worn the last day over it. She put on her country boots, stuffed whatever she thought she would need during the day into her bag and left the dorm.

There were barely any people walking around campus. Seeing she still had more than enough time before her first class started, Savannah decided to stop by the cafeteria and have a rich breakfast like she used to in the farm.

After picking her order, Savannah took a seat on a table and ate as she watched the television they had there. Glancing at the time, she wondered if Romeo was up already and preparing himself for his own first day. She knew her father was already up and working hard. Michael too. Johanna was probably getting out of bed and being dragged by her parents to help at their store. Talking about Michael and Johanna, she should give them a call later that day. She already missed her friends dearly.

As she finished her meal, her phone buzzed and Savannah smiled when she saw it was a text from Romeo telling her good morning and wishing her good luck on her first day. She replied wishing him good luck too and made her way to the classroom. It was still quite early, but she didn't know the place well enough yet so she knew she would probably get lost trying to find her classroom.

Eventually she found it. She was still the only one there, so she stood next to the door, waiting. A few minutes later, a tall, skinny brunette boy showed up. "Good morning." He said with a small smile as he leaned on the wall next to the door.

Savannah smiled back and gave him a nod. "Good morning. You're here for Mrs. Stevens class too?" She knew it was a stupid question to ask, after all it was the only reason for him to be standing there, but she wanted to avoid uncomfortable silence.

"Yeah... I always get to places earlier than I'm supposed to." He admitted with a cheeky smile. Savannah noticed he had freckles on his nose and cheeks, and for some reason it warmed her heart. "But I guess I've been defeated this time."

Savannah chuckled softly. "What can I say, I'm an early bird." She admitted.

The boy's light brown eyes looked her up and down, and Savannah felt a little analyzed. "Are you actually a farm girl?" He asked, eyebrows raised.

Savannah raised her eyebrows too. "Is it that obvious?" She asked awkwardly.

The boy chuckled. "A little. I mean... the fact you're an early bird, the accent, the clothes... the boots!" He pointed out. Noticing Savannah's awkward smile, he quickly explained himself. "There's nothing wrong with it. I just like to think I'm Sherlock Holmes sometimes. I'm weird. Sorry." He ranted, looking down and adjusting his glasses.

It was Savannah's time to chuckle. "It's fine. You guessed well." She said with a friendly smile. The boy gave her a relieved smile. "My name's Savannah, what's yours?" She asked. The boy seemed generally nice and friendly. A little awkward, yes, but honestly Savannah found the trait quite adorable and she wasn't exactly the coolest person so she couldn't really talk about it. Maybe they could become friends!