Chapter Fifteen

When Romeo woke up the next day, it took him a long while to remember what had happened the last night. That his father had actually showed up to spend Christmas with him, Savannah and Jacob, and that they all actually had a good time together. He even went to church with them, and asked him and Savannah to show him around the farm the next day, before his flight.

Having his father fly across the country to spend Christmas with him in a farm was... unreal, to say the least. But now he really couldn't deny his father was making a big effort to improve their relationship. He allowed him to take piano lessons and even picked a professor for him, he was around the house more often and tried to keep the conversation going during dinners, he invited Savannah over for Thanksgiving and now this. And as much as Romeo wanted to protect himself from disappointment and he still feared his father would go back to his old self sooner than later, his hope for something better kept growing and growing. Because while he held a lot against his father, he knew the man could say the same thing about him. After all, Romeo was well aware he was far from being a good son during the last few years. So, wouldn't it be better for the both of them to simply let go of all that and simply start over? He knew for sure that was what his mother would have wanted, so maybe it was worth a try.

With this thought in mind, he got up and ready for the day. He had a quick shower and got dressed in something comfortable before walking down the stairs to the kitchen, where he found Savannah and Jacob preparing breakfast. For a moment, the thought his father left earlier without saying a word crossed his mind and nearly made his heart freeze, but before he could dwell too much into it, the man's voice was heard.

"You're up early." His father commented in an almost teasing manner.

Looking at his father, who was helping Savannah and Jacob with breakfast, it was still a little unsettling to see him dressed in such casual clothes and see him acting in such an unformal manner. Even when he was a child, Romeo remembered his father as a very formal man, it was his mother who was more of a free-spirit with a lose tongue. Of course, even now, his father still looked extremely stiff compared to Savannah's, but Romeo couldn't help but notice the change. Maybe it was the farm air doing its wonders already.

"Well yeah, Savannah took my curtains away during the summer so I wake up with the sun hitting my face every morning." Romeo responded in a grumpy tone, even though he didn't love Savannah any less for it.

Savannah grinned. "It was either the sun or Boy, so you're welcome."

They had breakfast and spoke mainly about last night's ceremony. As usual, father's speech was very touching and inspirational, and so were the songs, even if Savannah didn't participate. Even his father appreciated trying it out. Even if he wasn't exactly a believer like Savannah and Jacob were, that didn't mean he didn't think father Charles' speech was useful and something to be kept in mind. It was kind of the same thought Romeo had about the whole thing, really. He didn't know where he stood when it came to believing in a God of any sorts, but he did think father Charles was a great and very wise man who deserved to be heard and have his words reflected on.

"So, is it time for presents yet?" Savannah chirped with a grin when they were done eating.

She looked extremely enthusiastic about the whole thing, and that was when it struck Romeo: he hadn't gotten anything for his father. After all, he never thought he'd come or even mention the holiday at all, so why bother? But now here he was, and Romeo was about to win the award for worst son ever, if he hadn't gotten that already anyway. Romeo could feel his face heating up with embarrassment, trying to plan some kind of justification in his head for not getting a Christmas gift for his own father when he got one for Jacob. He could always say he didn't think he would come, so he left his present in the city to give him when he came back. That seemed like the safest bet right now, even if it meant he would have to buy something last minute when he got to the city.