AT DEATH'S DOOR💀

AT DEATH'S DOOR💀

Several thoughts ran through her head as she went out of the bedroom, through the Emperor's quarters and down the ling corridors that led to the stairs. There was something that she didn't know, something that the rest of them present had known. But, what it was, she , Xiera could not make it out. And, it bothered her, really bothered how. Whatever that they were keeping was huge. That Lady, the one that she served, she was no ordinary person. Yes, she had known this all along, but it had never been more clear than today. Everyone was fretting over her, even the Little Prince. She could have easily attributed it to the fact that she was the Emperor's woman, but she knew that it was far more than that, the reason they were all on edge. She shrugged it off as she went down the stairs and to the living room area where Hera-Mera was still on her knees like the Little Prince had instructed. The sight brought joy to her soul and a broad smile to her face. How pleasing! The wench had not had it yet. It will begin when the Emperor returned from his journey. She smiled again and went up to Octavia.

'Your master has asked that I give this to you and tell you to bring it to the Emperor instantly,' she said to the Little Prince's aide.

'It's for the Emperor,' Octavia said casually as she collected the folded paper that Vura stretched out to her. She stared at it for a moment.

'Yes it is.'

'I shall leave at once,' she said turning away and headed for the exit. But, she suddenly pivoted to look at Vura. 'Take sure that she remains in this position,' she ordered her glancing briefly at Hera-Mera.

'I shall, with all gladness,' she assured her with a smile. The other nodded and finally left. Then, she turned to Hera-Mera. 'Oh look at you,' she sneered. 'You are at whose mercy now?' she went on to taunt her. Hera-Mera said nothing to her. 'Anyways, it shall not be just you. That other bitch Zoë must partake of this.' Then, she laughed happily.

Outside, Octavia readied her horse to leave the empire after getting a few necessities from the Emperor's kitchen. She saddled her beast of burden and began her journey, headed for the nearest island where the Emperor currently was with the letter in her pocket. It was called Quarie Island. The island was about three hours ride from the Linamine Empire. The Kutrav river linked it to the Linamine coast. The Emperor was there on business. She knew because she had been there when he had discussed the purpose of his visit with her Master, the Little Prince. He had gone there to propose a business deal. He wanted to persuade the King of the island to allow a bridge to be built across the Kutrav river from Linamine coast to Quarie.

It should have been an easy feat for the proposal was quite advantageous to both side. But, Quarie was a rather small isolated island in the midst of many strong kingdoms. The city was not walled because the waters completely surrounding it performed that function. The other kingdoms avoided starting a war with the island country because it wasn't easy to attack from the water. A sea war cost a lot. Therefore, to persuade such a country who relied solely on water for protection from war to build a bridge was almost futile, just like pouring water into a basket. It was almost unachievable. The bridge would take away most of their defense and leave them vulnerable to their enemies in a war scenario.

Despite that, the Emperor had still wanted to try. To try and be rejected, it was far better than not even trying at all. He had had to write and rewrite proposals after proposals until Quarie had settled on one asked to discuss it. The King of Quarie Island had wanted to come to Linamine for that as Linamine was a far greater country than it, but he had been against it. He would go instead. It was Quarie who was making a sacrifice. He was the one who wanted something. He had to go and get it. So, he had travelled down to Quarie to do so. No one knew if their meeting was going well as planned, in terms of negotiation.