Chapter 1

LISA

The cool wind blew over the terrace, from which one had a beautiful view of the huge lake. Gulls flew over the cold water and made rousing noises. It felt good to sit here and enjoy the view, the sounds and the wind.

"You're lost in your thoughts again." My best friend Rosé laughed and sat down next to me, on a wooden armchair that was more comfortable than it looked.

I sighed and took one look at her markless face. Her blond, straight hair shone and her brown, shimmering eyes regarded me with pity. I hated that look on her but because she wore it all the time I was used to it.

"You shouldn't think about it anymore. It's been two years, after all."

I couldn't identify her gaze, so I looked back at the lake. It calmed me down. It had been two years since I was brutally kidnapped by a mafia boss. I didn't even want to think about it, otherwise the tears just rolled down my cheeks and I gave in to my sadness and despair again. Lost myself in them again and I only saw the path faintly lit. The way back to my freedom.

She let me go but insisted I get her number. I could call her, but if I did, then I was hers and I didn't want that, which is probably why I kept silent on the number of a stone-cold mafia boss.

"You don't know what it's like." I mumbled deep in my thoughts.

She was the most beautiful woman I had ever laid my eyes on. Strong, dominant facial features. Fierce feline eyes and jet black, fluffy hair. Her face still enveloped me on my delicate skin. However, it had to be said that her appearance was the only thing that was really beautiful or attractive.

"I know, but you have to move on. People will no longer pay attention to what happened to you. They just want to see you live on." She pulled me out of my thoughts again and put her warm hand on mine.

I winced, looked over at her and smiled slightly. I knew she was right because she always was. Rosé was one of the smartest women I knew.

"I know that." I laughed easily, even if it wasn't really funny.

It was a shell I wrapped around myself to hide my vulnerability. Maybe I got that from the ice-cold mafia boss, because she also wore a case that she only opened for me.

"Thank you for coming here with me." I looked at her gratefully and grabbed something in her hand.

I had asked my parents if I could get the key to the house by the sea and they actually said yes. I just claimed that it was still because of their concerned nature. They wanted me to recover as much as possible from everything. Even though it was two years ago, it was still chasing me.

"I'm going to make dinner." She looked at the sun, which was slowly setting, giving the darkness permission to stand out. I nodded and said nothing.

I should have helped her, but I couldn't get up. My thoughts hung too much on Jennie Kim, South Korea's most feared woman.

The woman who held everything in her hands. The woman, who was in control. I didn't know anyone who wasn't afraid of her. No manager. And even when men and women looked after her, every single one was afraid of her. She was emotionless, merciless and cold as ice.

But I saw a completely different side of her. A shy, loving way that took my breath away in those moments, but now it was different.

I was now working in a huge company myself and was one of the most important women there, but I kept hearing her name. She was always present. Always near me. Always where I was. I hated this. Feeling why I drove out here.

Far away from everything.

Far away from her.

"Are you coming?" Rosé looked at me through the door slot and smiled happily.

I got up, put the covers off my body on the armchair and went into the house. It was a large wooden house and did not resemble any other house my parents owned.

It was immaculate, beautiful and if I had to own a home this would be it. It had a lower and an upper floor. A basement that was too spooky that neither of us stepped under it, and a white kitchen that was more modern than the entire house.

My parents had invested a lot of money in this wooden house in order to be able to rent it out and thus make even more money. Across from the kitchen was a wooden table on which food was served.

"Noodles again." I laughed softly, pushed the wooden chair back and sat on the white cushion.

"You should cook again." She grinned to herself and grabbed two forks to scoop the noodles.

She couldn't cook anything other than noodles, although I usually loved to cook and probably cooked all kinds of meals. Rosé coveted my cooking skills, but I don't enjoy cooking as much as I used to.

Before the kidnapping. I stopped doing a lot of things I used to like. It made me sad, but there was nothing I could do about it.

As my phone buzzed, I furrowed my eyebrows at Chaeyoung and then at my phone.

I paused and noticed my eyes widen.