Twelve

Ruhaan sat on a bench in the park and watched Pluto run around and play with the other dogs. Some of them were triple his size but they seemed friendly and just ran around with him. He came to Mumbai in the morning and instantly loved the little boy. Ruhaan had other plans for coming here. Ofcourse he missed home and the polluted air of Mumbai, but that's not why he is in the park. Someone called him, saying they want to talk. So here he is. Waiting. He leans back on his bench and closes his eyes for a few minutes with his hands folded on his lap. But when he opens his eyes again, panic claws at him. He can't find Pluto anywhere. He gets up and runs around the fenced area. The dog cannot jump out of it, so he has to be inside.

Mahira walked into the park with determination. But every other thought melted away when a little dog started running around her feet in circles. She smiled and picked the dog up. "What are you doing here, you handsome little man?" She talked to him in baby voice and then checked his collar. It had his name. Before she could react, a running Ruhaan stopped in front of her. His hair was matted with sweat but nor once did he huff. "Pluto! You're not supposed to run away like this!" Mahira realized who the dog was, and then put him down to run away but was surprised to find him trying to climb Ruhaan up, who picked the dog up in his arms.

That is.....cute? Hot? Nah.

Ruhaan looked at Mahira with a soft expression. "You wanted to talk?"

"Yes." He sighed. She looked even more detached than before. Atleast she used to pick up fights earlier. Now? Nothing. But he also saw how tired and defeated she looked.

They both settled down on an empty bench and Pluto slept at their feet. "What do you wanna talk about, Mahi?" She took a deep breath and looked him right in the eyes as she dropped a folder in his lap. "I want a divorce."

The softness of his face was replaced by hard edges of his clenched jaw and flaring nose in a second. "No." Mahira raised a brow, appalled. "What do you mean, no?"

"I mean, no, I am not giving you a divorce. Maine tumse ek mauka Manga tha, maafi maangi thi, talakh nahi!" Anger bubbled in the pit of her stomach. She stood up and collected her bag. She took a deep breath to calm herself down and looked at the stubborn man, glaring at her. "Listen to me Ruhaan, my father has asked me to get married to a man of his choice. And I wouldn't have agreed if not for his condition. He is dying Ruhaan, he has brain tumor and he doesn't have enough days to live. As much as I am hurt because of him, he is still my father." With that she turned around on her heels towards her car in the parking lot, hoping he would understand her situation and for the first time in their marriage, give her something she wants.

(I asked for a chance, for forgiveness, not divorce.)

She leaned against her car door, her energy dissipated. Why was her life so complicated? Why can't she just be happy? All she has done in her life is give to other people. When will she receive? She did think about giving Ruhaan a chance because she was tired of everything else but now she can't even do that. Her father's withered face and defeated eyes flashed infront of he eyes and she sighed. She can't do much.

Her arm was grabbed, she was turned around and pushed against the door of her car by a very angry Ruhaan. He was holding the divorce papers in his hand. Pluto was watching the interaction from the window of Ruhaan's car.

Ruhaan tore the papers and put them back in her hands. "If your father wants to see you married to someone before he dies, then you can tell him the truth of our marriage or, if you want, we can get married again. Par ye bhool jao, ki mai tumhe chodh dunga, ya tumhe mujhe chodhne dunga. You're stuck with me, Mrs. Mahira Ruhaan Kapoor."

(Don't think that I will leave you or let you leave me.)

His eyes were blazing with a fire that would burn the world down before he let's her go. He harshly pulled her to his chest, his hand grabbing her hair and pulling her head back so her eyes were looking right into his. He isn't a gentle man, and he isn't going to give her false hope of being one. Neither did she need it. This was probably the first time her body betrayed her. Wetness pooled between her thighs that she clenched.