Chapter 1

It was a warm, beautiful day out in Asgard; everyone was out in the sunlight, including two specific families.
One, was the royal family. King Odin and his wife, Queen Frigga, along with their two boys; Thor, the eldest son, and Loki, the youngest son. The two brothers were close together; causing trouble together, having adventures together. . .and then, there was the Marywell family. There was Tom Marywell, his wife Maeve Marywell, and their daughter, Athena Marywelldottir. The Marywell family were sorcerers, one of the most powerful ones there were. They were very close, with the royal family. The two families would meet each other at least once a day, always glad to see each other. Even though they meet all the time, the kids never really spoke with each other. Thor and Loki would play with each other, while Athena would read a book, or listen to the adults speak. Not once, did she speak. Athena was a shy girl, only seen talking with her parents, or the King and Queen. Nevertheless, the kids greeted each other with a nod before minding their own business, until one sunny day.
   The two families had met together, eating in the royal gardens, when the adults dismissed the kids at the table, needing to speak about some serious business. The boys left, except for Athena, who was still reading a book.
"Athena, dear." Maeve said to her daughter. "That includes you too."
"But mother," Athena said, removing her eyes from her book, "you always speak about adult stuff when I am around."
"This time is different." Frigga said gently. "This conversation is very serious, not good for your innocent self."
"Why don't you go and look around the gardens?" Tom suggested to his daughter.
"I believe we have got new flowers. . .roses, I believe, from Midgard." Odin added, making Frigga sigh contently.
"Yes, those flowers are very gorgeous." Frigga agreed.
"Okay, then." Athena said reluctantly, hopping out of her seat. On the outside she was hesitant to go, but in the inside, she was excited to see the roses. Her mother used to tell her stories about Midgard, how it was nice and peaceful there, and that they worship the Gods. Athena may not like the idea of mortals worshipping them, but they sounded really interesting.
Athena left the table, in search of the flowers. The adults then went into business. "Frost Giants are declaring for war." Odin tells the Marywell couple.
"What?" Maeve gasped. "But you made a truce!"
"Aye, but Laufey wants one last battle." Frigga says sadly.
"So we have no choice, but to go into battle again." Tom said gravely.
"I'm afraid so." Odin sighed, not happy at all.
***
"Roses, roses, where are they?" Athena murmured to herself, looking around the royal garden. She turned a corner, spotting certain blood red flowers. "Roses!" she exclaimed, rushing towards them. She peered down at them in awe, spotting other colours of roses. White, pink, yellow. . .
"They're beautiful, aren't they." a voice said from behind. Athena gasped in shock, turning around in fright to see Loki Odinson smiling shyly at her. "Sorry, I mean no harm." Loki rushed out, looking down guilty.
"N-no, it's fine, Prince Loki." Athena said quietly, bowing her head in respect.
"Oh, no need for formalities, you can just call me Loki." Loki told her, moving to stand beside her, staring down at the roses.
"These roses are really beautiful." Athena said quietly, turning back to the roses.
"Yes," Loki agreed, "I actually asked mother and father if we could have them."
"Really?" Athen looked at him curiously. "I didn't know you liked these kind of stuff."
"I actually saw you reading a book about flowers from Midgard the last time our family had lunch together." Loki admitted shyly. "I was curious, so I read the same book."
"Really?" Athena looked at him in shock.
"Really." Loki confirmed. "Believe it or not, I actually like to read."
"I can kind of tell you do, even though you play fight with Thor." Athena said, playing with her sleeves on her dress. "The way you look at things with interest, and how you observe everything around you. . ."
Athena reached a hand out to grab a rose, only to get pricked on the finger by one of its thorns. "Ow!" Athena said quietly, observing her injured finger.
"Oh no." Loki murmured. "Here, let me take a look."
"Oh! I-it's fine, Loki, just a little bit of blood." Athena tried to reassure him.
"Please, I insist." Loki said, gently grabbing her hand. Athena looked down with a blush, but looked up at Loki through her eyelashes. Loki was studying her finger, checking if it was serious. "It doesn't look like an infection." Loki told her, lowering her hand slightly. He lifted his other hand, waving it above her hand. Green mist went around Athena's finger before it disappeared, showing no injury of some sort.
"You do magic." Athena asked him, though it sounded more like a statement.
"Mother teaches me how to use it." Loki explained, reluctantly letting go of her hand. "She also told me how your family is one of the powerful sorcerers."
"They are." Athena agreed, holding her hand up, showing her palm. After a couple of seconds, gold mist appeared before it disappeared, revealing a small ice sculpture of a rose. "You can have this, it doesn't melt. A small gift for healing my finger."
"Thank you." Loki said quietly, gently grabbing it from her. "I will cherrish this forever."
"You are welcome." Athena grinned shyly up at him.
"Athena dear, time to go!" they heard Athena's mother call out.
"Loki, time to go inside!" they also heard Frigga call out.
"Until next time?" Loki said hopefully.
"Until next time." Athena agreed. Loki placed a kiss on the back of her hand, before slowly walking away from her. Athena watched him go, before she turned the opposite way of him, to her own parents.