Chapter 2

It was the day. The day of the last battle between the Jotuns and Asgardians. All families were saying their farewells to their dear ones, including the Marywell family.
"Be careful, dear." Maeve told Athena. "You know what to do while we're gone."
"Yes mother." Athena grinned, giving her mother a hug.
"Come here, darling." Tom said, opening his arms for a hug to Athena. Athena grinned, and jumped into his arms, making him pretend to complain at her weight. "Now remember," he told her, "when you are in trouble -"
"Contact Queen Frigga or anyone else." Athena interrupted her father, rolling her eyes at him.
"Good girl!" he grinned, setting her down. A guard called out to the parents, making them sigh sadly.
"Why do you two have to go?" Athena complained, pouting.
"Because," her mother said, cupping her daughter's cheek, "Odin wants our help to win this battle."
"Promise you will come back?" Athena asked her parents. The parents exchanged a sad look, before promising their daughter. They then went with the other warriors, turning to give their daughter their last, final wave. Athena, not aware of her parents' soon-to-be death, waved back at them. That was the last thing her parents wanted to remember of their daughter; her beautiful smile. Maeve quickly wiped away a tear, looking straight forward with a determined look.
"For Asgard," she said quietly. "And for our daughter, Athena."
***
A day later, while Athena was reading a book in the house, a knock came through the door. Athena placed down the book on the table beside her, and opened the door. Outside, she was met by one of the messenger people. "Lady Athena Marywelldottir?" the messenger asked her.
"That is me." Athena squeaked out shyly.
"I am one of the royal messenger people, and I have come to tell you news about the battle between the Jotuns and the Asgardians." the messenger explained.
"Oh!" Athena perked up. "Did we win?"
"Yes, we did my lady."
"So where's my mother and father?"
"That is why I came. Your parents, they have. . .died during the war." the messenger said sadly.
"What!" Athena cried. "No. . .y-you're lying!"
"I am afraid not, my lady." he said gravely. "They were surrounded, and they couldn't defeat all of them." Athena looked down at the ground, crying.
"Where am I supposed to go now?" Athena cried. "I'm just a little girl, I have no family left!"
"Yours parents last wishes was for you to have a safe place to live while they're gone. You will be living with the royal family."
"What?" Athena sniffed, looking up at him.
"Your parents last wish was for you to live with the King and Queen, until you're old enough to leave." the messenger explained. "You will be escorted to the castle at dawn today."
"Yes, thank you, kind sir." Athena whispered.
"Good day, my lady."
Yes, what a very good day, Athena thought sarcastically, closing the door. She then went to pack.