Chapter 16: Birthday Surprise

Zarah's pov

It's Saturday, and I'm in the garden watering the plants.

"Zarah?" Yohan called.

"Yes, Yohan?" I answered.

"I have an important appointment to go to today. Maybe I will be home by night," Yohan said.

"But it's the weekend today," I said with a pleading face.

"I need to do this today." Yohan went to me and kissed my forehead.

"Ok. Take care," I said, and Yohan left.

I continued to do the household chores.

Suddenly, my phone rang, and Damon was calling.

"Hello, Damon. Why did you call?" I asked because Damon doesn't usually call me over the weekend.

"Hi, Zarah. I want to inform you that today is Yohan's birthday," Damon said.

"What? Today is Yohan's birthday?" I said with a shocked expression.

"Yes. Is Yohan there?" Damon asked while

"Yohan left the house. He said that he has an appointment and will be back by night," I answered.

"Oh, you know, Yohan doesn't celebrate birthdays. It started when his parents died. Yohan would go to the cemetery to visit his parent's graves. I think he will go straight to the cemetery when he is done with his appointment," Damon shared.

"Ah, I was thinking of surprising him tonight." It wouldn't make Yohan angry if I surprised him.

"Count me in. I will go there and help you."

"You will?"

"Yup"

"Ok, let's go to the mall and buy ingredients and decorations," I excitedly said.

"Ok. Be there in a few minutes."

"Ok. See you later."

Call ended.

I didn't know that today was Yohan's birthday. I'm glad Damon told me that today is his birthday, and he will help me prepare. I'm also happy because he will be home at night, so I have lots of time to prepare.

I texted Sarah and Matthew to come here after work. I also called Grandma Aubrey. The more guests, the merrier.

After that, I got ready because Damon would be here in a few minutes.

When I'm done getting ready, I hear a honk. I went outside, and it was Damon.

"Let's go," Damon said.

"Ok"

I went inside his car and went to the mall.

When we arrived at the mall, we went to the supermarket first to buy ingredients because I will cook; Damon and I went to the department store to buy birthday decorations and my gift to Yohan; and lastly, we bought the cake.

After buying, we ate lunch and went back home.

"What are you going to cook?" Damon asked.

"I will cook spaghetti, fish fillet, fried chicken, and soup. For dessert, I will make mango float," I said.

"Wow. You know that Yohan loves mango floats."

"Really?" I asked.

"I will help you."