Chapter 5

Winter started in dismay at the directions of the almost silent footsteps. What "master" did Claw have that would have the ability to make steps as silent as mice? Winter didn't know of any dragon he'd ever met who could do something like that! Even his own brother didn't have that much skill.

The footsteps kept approaching the two looking dragons, making Winter more worried with every second. What would this dragon be like?! "Maybe staying on this horrid continent isn't such a bad idea after all!"

"Are you sure someone like me who he doesn't know should be here." Winter asked Claw.

"Of course!" Claw exclaimed. "My master loves new dragons and people. He isn't exactly the 'I want to be alone' type."

"Then what typos is he?" he asked her then.

"One who has cats named very scary things, had a name that contrasts with him very much, and believes he should control all after someone thought he wasn't very good." Claw sighed. "Lots of backstory stuff there."

Winter nodded to her and looked back in the direction of the approaching footsteps. Maybe this dragon would let her go and even maybe help him and Changbai leave this horrid place! "Let's see what kind of oppressor Claw really has."

A small human walked out of the dim light and showed itself. He had a long streak of hair on his head and face, had a sword on his side, and wore a long red and blue coat. Whoever he was, he didn't strike Winter as "powerful".

"This is who your 'master' is?!" Winter asked Claw.

"Don't sound so conflicted." Claw assured. "Yes, my master may look small because he is human, but he is actually very powerful and not someone you would want to mess with."

"It's not the fact he's a human!" Winter protested. "It's the fact that for a human he looks weak. I know a female one with the temper of an ox and compared to her he's a huge amateur."

"Am I really?" the small, male human asked Winter, startling him. "I'll have you know my connections may actually make me more powerful than even you, Winter the exiled Prince of the Icewings. And besides, I'm pretty sure that Wren wouldn't stand a chance if she tried to fight me now." He looked serious and Winter starting to second-guess what he had imposed on Claw and the tiny human.

"Wait. How do you know who Wren is?" Winter asked the human.

"She's a former friend and now rival." the human told him, laughing. "And I'm going to show her I'm not as weak as she told me I was! Me, Dragon, and Claw are going to rule all!"

"And if you were wondering, Dragon is his cat and not me." Claw explained.

"Anyway, I may be able to help you." the human told Winter then. "You and your friend want to leave this place, yes?"

"Yep!"

"Me and Claw will help you, but on one condition." the male said. "You have to save your friend, Kinkajou."

"I was already trying to do that!" Winter yelled. "This ought to be an easy mission!"

Winter and Changbai waited at the edge of the continent, waiting for Claw and her master that Winter still hadn't gotten the name of. He seemed to know both Wren and Kinkajou, so maybe he was like a friend of theirs. "And he has one big ambition to rule the world and prove he's better than Wren. I'd like to see where he goes with it."

Winter and Changbai continued to wait for their guides and hoped not to be caught by a group of Polarwings. Changbai had kept telling Winter how his idea that his idea of getting of the continent wouldn't be easy and how they would probably send soldiers to go and retrieve them. Winter just brushed off the idea, assuring that the little human had a plan to escape without being seen by any dragon.

Still, even he did have a few questions about this whole escape plan. Would really no dragon be able to see a group with a Sandwing and two Icewings? Wouldn't that be a little suspicious and raise alarm?

Winter looked at the skies and saw a yellow shape with something on their back flying to him and Changbai. "Finally!"

"You guys finally made it!" Winter sighed. "For a moment I was worried you weren't coming." Claw landed next to Winter and gave a quick apology and then the group took off for the open sea.

On the fly to Pyrrhia, Winter started to second guess himself. Did Claw and her master really know the way to his and their home? Were they positive this was the way back because the things below didn't at all seem familiar. "Are you guys sure this is the way back?"

"It's not." the male human mumbled.

"WHAT"

"You don't remember?" the human asked Winter. Of course, Winter had no idea of course what he was implying. "I said you had to find Kinkajou if we were going to help you escape undercover."

"I forgot about that part..." Winter nodded in the tiny male humans direction and then a silence came among the group for a long while. Winter was too busy to start up any conversation as he was thinking about how he would save his friend. First he needed to know where she was and who was guarding her. Were his own friends there making sure Kinkajou suffered? "They better not be or I'll just have to shred them to pieces! Wait! Is that a sound of flapping wings behind me?!"

Winter turned around but didn't see nothing. "Just my imagination."

"Uh guys!" Changbai then yelled. Winter looked at him and saw a look of terror on his face as he looked back to see a Polarwing behind them! Winter couldn't make out who it was, but they were flying faster and faster toward them!

"I'm trying to think, Changbai." the human growled. "Shut up!"

"But-"

"But nothing! I'm trying to think about how we're going to do our stuff now so shut it!"

"Not seriously." Winter yelled. "There's a Polarwing behind us!"