Chapter 15

Winter breathed in some air as he sat beside the injured Kinkajou. Gleam and Lynx were scouting the area of the prison to find out any more information and once they were done the group would escape with Kinkajou. For now though, Winter was stuck trying to find a way to get the sleeping Rainwing up in the first place!

He sighed and looked at his unconscious friend. "I've tried multiple methods, but she won't even so much as grumble a few words! Why are Rainwings so good at sleeping?"  If it came down to it, they could just carry her out... Problem with that was if they were spotted it would be a bit more difficult to move with an injured dragon on their backs... "There has to be something we can do..."

"Winter. Any luck yet?" Starflight asked from a  cell over.

"Not yet." Winter answered. In his time in the cells, Winter had managed to find that the blind librarian from his former school was only one prison over and had gotten a lot of different ideas to help Kinkajou from the Nightwing's techniques. Still, that was another thing...

"Starflight might actually be in worse condition than Kinkajou is... I don't know if we can get both of them out though..."  Winter thought to himself. Would it be a better idea to take the Nightwing and leave his friend for the moment?

"I know what you're thinking..." Starflight whispered, shocking Winter. Could he read Winter's mind or something? Creepy... "You need to take Kinkajou and get out of here. Making two trips would be difficult, and I can hold out for a while."

Winter frowned. "I don't know if I agree with you on that matter... No offense, but you weren't in that great of a condition to begin with..." Even if Starflight and Kinkajou did both manage to escape, Starflight was already blind and would have a hard time getting anywhere...

Starflight laughed and then seemed to mutter something that Winter couldn't quite hear. Then, he spoke once more. "That is true... However I still think it would be a better idea to take Kinkajou."

Winter sighed and then stood up. "Fine. Do you have any other ideas of how to wake up Kinkajou then?" 

"Me? But I'm already awake!"

Winter spun around as he saw the bright face of his friend staring back at him. She had her twinkling eyes. "WHEN DID SHE EVEN WAKE UP!? THIS CRAZY RAINWING!!!"

Still, he had to admit that he was glad Kinkajou was alright. And now they could hopefully escape this disaster for the moment... "We're here to rescue you, Kinkajou. We'll leave when Lynx and Gleam get back."

Kinkajou tilted her head. "Who?"

"Oh... You've never met them I guess." Winter observed in annoyance. "There on our side and that's all you need to know!

"Yes, sir!"

At least she was agreeable...

The Rainwing looked at him and frowned. "Wait. Are we not going to save the other dragons here. You have realized that there are more of them than just me..."

He nodded. "I realize that, but..." He couldn't save all of them with just three people. It would be more prudent to take what he came for and leave! "We just don't have the means to do so..."

"But that just won't do!" Kinkajou exclaimed. "They are all dragons too and most of them need more care than I do!" She looked over at Starflight. "Like him! Starflight was one of the first from Pyrrhia to be taken here and as such is in horrific condition! I will not let him be mistreated any longer!"

THIS WAS WHY SHE WAS SO INFURIATING!

"It is alright, Kinkajou." Starflight assured. "Winter already offered to take me with them, but I refused. I'd rather you be saved than a dragon like me who may already be close to my end anyway..."

"But you can't say that!" Kinkajou cried.

Laughing, Starflight nodded. "I know it seems quite terrible of me to think so, but it may be the truth. I can no longer hide that fact I'm afraid." He frowned. "From what I've heard, already a few thousand dragons have died here. For all I know that could be me next..."

Kinkajou started to cry as Winter watched the scene with his own eyes. He had to admit that even from his view it seemed to soon for Starflight to give up. Yet... 

"He's willing to sacrifice all he could have for Kinkajou... If that's truly what he wants, then it's my job to make sure that she's saved!"  Winter told himself.

He looked at Kinkajou and grabbed her talons. "It will be alright. If we need to, I can come back in here later and save him for you. For now though, you need to get out and warn everyone who's still not under Beauty's control!"

Kinkajou looked at Winter and nodded. "A-Alright... W-Where are your friends again?"

"Right here!" Lynx called as she walked down the cell halls with Gleam.

"Stop yelling, Lynx!" Winter cried, quietly. "Someone could hear you and then were all dead!" He sighed. How could she be so... dull? Wasn't Lynx supposed to be the smartest Icewing in the kingdom?

Gleam looked at Lynx and smiled. She held up something in her talons. "Look what we found, boss man! It's an anmrius object!"

"First off, stop calling me weird names!" Winter ordered. "And secondly... anmirus?"

"She means animus." Lynx explained. She grabbed what looked to be a small bottle of liquid out of Gleams talons and walked over to Kinkajou. She then began to pour the ointment on her scales as the others watched.

"W-What are you..." Winter tried to ask, being overwhelmingly amazed at the sight. The cuts and bruises that covered her body instantly began to heal when the ointment touched her body. "Woah..."

"My body feels so much lighter!" Kinkajou remarked, standing up. She looked at her wing and frowned. "Why is the scar from when I got venom on my wings still there?"

"My guess is that it only heals more recent injuries." Lynx explained. "Still, this should be enough for you to fly." She looked at Starflight and smiled. "And now we can take an extra dragon with us too!"

Kinakjou smiled as she looked at Starflight. "Hear that? You'll be fine!"

Starflight smiled. "I guess so..."

Winter nodded and then looked at the three of them. "Now that back, you four should get out of here and head for the islands northwest of here. I'll meet up with you when I'm done looking for stuff here."

Lynx nodded. "Don't get captured, alright?"

He nodded and then the group spit up. Yes, it would be a better idea not to take any risks when they were this close to their goal, but... 

"There's something weird going on here... I remember that prophecy that Knowledgeable told me, and... I think there's something more going on here."

The prophecy...

Two of the same kin

Fire of the Sky,

Will come to the tribes

To make a great evil right.

Power they share,

Might they hold,

Kin of fire,

Both brave, both bold.

Two of the same kin

Fire of the sky,

Will stop a disaster

Or no one will survive.

There was something more going on here, and he was going to find out just what it was!