Chapter 12: Dreaded Call

I just got done with my shift at the grocery store. I started working there part time to start saving money to buy a car. I check my phone and see a text from Kate.

Hey baby. Call me when you get home.

I feel kind of puzzled at the text, wondering what she'd want to talk about. Once I get home I go into my room to change out of my work clothes. Once I get dressed I call Kate.

"Hey Sam"

"Hey baby! Everything okay?" I ask her.

"Yeah....I mean...I....I don't know actually." I can hear the uncertainty in her voice.

"What's wrong Kate?"

"Well.....my mom just got a new job..."

"Well that's great! I'm happy for her."

"I am too! But like..." she pauses for a moment. I think about asking her what's wrong again, but I give her a second to answer. "It's in another state. And we'll have to move next month."

I'm in shock. "O-oh. Well that's.....wow."

We sit on the phone in silence for a moment. I hear her sniffle from the other side of the phone.

"Don't worry baby." I tell her. "We can try to make long distance work! Plus I'm working to get a car, and I'll come and visit you, give you a red ass. You know!"

She giggles a little at the last comment and sniffles. "I...I just don't know. She's pulling me out of school so we can pack and look for a place to live. So we won't be able to see each other much before I go."

"Oh. Yeah. That uh, kind of sucks." I say disappointed.

Another moment of silence goes by. I hear more sniffles. "I'm sorry Samuel. I just needed to tell you over the phone. Can we talk more about this later?"

"Y-yeah, sure. I'll talk to you later baby."

We hang up the call and I lay in my bed and think. I loved Kate, and I'd hate to see her go. She never said what state she was moving to, so I didn't even know if I'd be able to drive out and see her regularly. I wanted to spend more time with her, but I knew our time left was short and wanted to make it worth while.

I get an idea and pick my phone back up and text Kate.

Sam: Hey. You wanna come over and hang out on Saturday?

Kate: I'll ask my mom. But sure.

Some time goes by.

Kate: She said yes!

Sam: Awesome! I can't wait to see you. And bring some extra pairs of panties. I wanna make it worth your while. ;)

I lay my phone back down with a bittersweet smile on my face. I start to plan the perfect potential last date in my head.