Chapter 10: Mission Accomplished

Marty ran back over to the band, nearly out of breath, Judy in his arms.

"Hey, what're you guys doing? You've gotta go back in there and finish the dance!"

"Sorry buddy, but Marvin's hurt his hand. He's done for the night."

"No, you don't understand! If you don't go back in there and play, I'll be history!"

Marvin looked at him, "Well, unless you know of someone else who can play the guitar, the dance is over!"

Before he knew it, Marty found himself onstage in the gymnasium, playing a rift to the song Earth Angel while Judy was backstage behind the curtain, a worried look on her face. Even she knew what was at stake here.

Marty scanned the audience for George and Lorraine, who were slow dancing among the sea of couples.

His nerves were getting the better of him. So much so, that he was fumbling with the guitar, messing up the rhythm, earning a confused glance from Marvin.

Come on, Marty, focus! They still haven't kissed yet, you're running out of time!

Marty looked back at the crowd when something caught his eye.

A redheaded teen had shoved himself between George and Lorraine, making her dance with him instead.

Marty tensed as he watched his father, who was starting to walk away, his mother calling out to him.

Judy noticed this as well, her hands folded nervously.

Suddenly feeling weak, Marty fell to his knees. He was quickly loosing the ability to continue the rift, as he immediately noticed he was starting to be erased from existence.

Oh no...

He got out the photo, and surely enough, his fears were confirmed.

Come on, not now! Not when we're this close!

Marty turned to his sister, who was struggling to stay still, wanting desperately to run to his side.

No...don't...

But then...

George came back over and quickly pushed the other teen away, gently pulling Lorraine to him, giving her a kiss.

Marty immediately shot up, looking at the photo. He was no longer fading away, and Dave and Linda were back as well.

He turned to Judy, who was smiling uncontrollably, and grinned back at her.

Marty triumphantly finished the song, playing like he never had before.

A moment later, Marvin leaned in and asked, "Hey man, think you can do another one?"

"Oh, I don't know. I've gotta get going."

"Come on, just one more!"

"I guess another song wouldn't hurt..."

Marty slowly walked up to the front of the stage, looking at his sister, who gave a reassured nod, and then to the crowd.

"Um, well, this song is and oldie, at least where I come from. Ok," he turned to the band, "Guys, watch me for the changes and try to keep up!"

In the blink of an eye, the energetic rift of Marty's guitar strummed through the air, electrifying the audience as he began to sing the song Johnny B. Goode.

As Marty continued singing, he started doing some signature guitarist moves, much to everyone's surprise.

Judy watched from the sidelines, dancing around in small circles, mimicking her brother's every move.

Marty didn't realize how much he was getting into the rhythm, maybe too much...

He dropped to his knees, finishing the last long note.

Slowly he opened his eyes, noticing the crowd and band had stopped, and were staring at him.

Marty stood up and straightened himself.

"I guess you guys aren't ready for that."

He looked at his sister, who was hiding a wide smile.

"But your kids are gonna love it."

Marty walked backstage to where his sister was waiting for him.

He kelt down and clutched her hands, "Well, we did it!"

Judy smiled, "Yeah, oh! Marty look!"

She pointed across the gymnasium, noticing that George and Lorraine were starting to leave.

Marty quickly got up and she trailed behind.

Lorraine noticed them, "Oh, Marty. I hope you don't mind, but George asked if he could take me home."

"No, not at all. That's great. You know, I had a feeling about the two of you." Marty smiled.

"Me too!" Judy chimed in.

Lorraine smiled at her, and then to George.

"Well, we've gotta go. I wish you guys luck."

"Oh! Will we ever see you two again?" Their mother pressed.

"I think you will." Marty grinned, pulling Judy into his arms. "Yeah! You will!" She repeated.

George held out his hand, "Thank you Marty, for all your good advice. I'll never forget it."

Marty took his father's hand, "Don't mention it, buddy!"

The two then proceeded to leave, only for Marty to quickly turn back around.

"Oh, hey! If you guys ever have any kids, and one of them accidentally sets the living room rug on fire when he's eight...go easy on him."

Judy quickly added, "And if he forgets to take his little sister to school for picture day."

Marty looked at her warmly.

George and Lorraine smiled, "We will."

Marty waved goodbye, his sister doing the same, and then finally, they left the school.