Chapter 3: Two Years Later

Two years passed. Ashlyn grew before Johnny's and Daisy's eyes. She had brown curly hair and green eyes like Daisy. It was Christmas Eve, and Johnny was working. Daisy decided to stop by the station on her way home from the store. "Hey, Daisy. What brings you here?" Captain Stanley asked her when she turned the corner to the kitchen.

"I thought I would give you all these to snack on. Merry Christmas," she said as she handed a container of cookies to him. Ashlyn ran pass Daisy to the kitchen.

"Daddy!" she yelled as Johnny reached down and picked her up. Ashlyn laughed as Johnny twirled her around. Chet laughed and walked up to Ashlyn and Johnny.

"How's my number one girl?" he joked with her. Ashlyn grabbed a hold of him and went from Johnny to Chet. "You're getting heavy. You know that?" Ashlyn laughed at him.

"Hey, Boot. Guess what we got you?" Captain Stanley asked Ashlyn as he set the container of cookies on the table. Ashlyn whipped her head around to his direction. Captain Stanley went to his office to get her surprise. When he came back, he told Ashlyn to close her eyes and put a Station 51 helmet on her head. It looked exactly like Johnny and Roy's. Ashlyn was extremely happy when she saw it. Daisy smiled when she saw it.

"Ashlyn, what do you say?" Daisy asked.

"Thank you!" All of the guys started laughing. They loved it when she came around. She was still the little boot. As everyone was talking, the tones went off for the squad. Johnny kissed Daisy on his way to the squad.

"Well, we better get going. I've groceries to put up," Daisy said. Ashlyn grabbed her helmet and got a hold of Daisy's hand. The two got into the car and headed back home.
@@@@@
Daisy was finished unloading the groceries. She sat down in the living room while Ashlyn played firefighter with her new helmet. Daisy closed her eyes to rest but was interrupted when the phone rang. "Hello?"

"Daisy, the squad has been in a bad wreck. Johnny and Roy are headed to the hospital," Captain Stanley said over the phone. Daisy dropped the phone but picked up again to say that she was on her way. When she hung up with him, she called Rose.

"Rose, I need you to babysit Ashlyn for a little bit. Something has come up that I need to do. I'll tell you about it when you get here. Thank you, bye." She hung up the phone and got up to get her things together. How could something like this happen? Rose arrived a few minutes later. Daisy told her about the squad then left for the hospital. When she got there, Joanne was already there waiting. Joanne saw Daisy and ran to her crying.

"They haven't said anything yet. All they said was a car hit them on Roy's side. Then, they flipped a couple of times," she said between each sob. Dixie walked out with a shocked look on her face.

"Joanne, Roy is fine. He's going to have to stay here for a few weeks. He has a few broken bones. Daisy, Johnny just has a few cuts and contusions, but he'll be fine. Dr. Brackett had to stitch a bad cut up on his arm though," she told them. Joanne calmed down while Daisy let a sigh of relief out.

"When can we see them?" Daisy asked Dixie when she was finished.

"They're both in room 308," she said as Daisy and Joanne headed to the elevator. When they got to their room, Joanne started to cry again. Daisy tried to calm her down once more before they went in. Joanne calmed down again and went inside. Roy looked like he fell of a big a cliff, and Johnny looked like he was hit by a bus.

"Hey," Johnny whispered when Daisy went to his bedside, "Where's Ashlyn?"

"Rose is babysitting her. I didn't want her to be scared. I'll bring her up here later," Daisy said with a tear rolling down her face. It hurt her to see Johnny like this.

"Hey, don't cry. We're alright. In fact, Brackett is letting me out of here tomorrow. They just wanted to give me an IV overnight and make sure I was okay." Daisy smiled at Johnny's attempt to make her feel better.

"Who will do your district for the rest of the shift?" Daisy asked in order to change the subject.

"I'm not sure. I just know another station has it covered for us while we're in here." After awhile of talking, Daisy left to go pick Ashlyn up. Johnny was doing much better, and Daisy thought bringing Ashlyn to see him would make him feel even better. When she got back with Ashlyn, Joanne was in in the hall crying again. Dixie was standing nearby, so Daisy left Ashlyn with her while she checked on Joanne.

"Roy's pulse is very low!" Joanne sobbed. Daisy hugged Joanne. Dr. Brackett walked out of the room a short time later. "How is he?" Joanne looked at him with hurt.

"He's okay. The nurse read his pulse wrong. He's conscious now, and you can go in to see him," he said with a smile. Joanne dried her tears then went in the room. Seeing that everything was okay, Dixie held Ashlyn's hand and walked with her to Daisy.

"Are you ready to see Daddy?" Daisy asked when Ashlyn got there. Ashlyn nodded her head up and down. Daisy took a hold of her hand and led her inside. Johnny's face lightened up with happiness when he saw Ashlyn. Ashlyn let go of Daisy's hand and ran to Johnny. She threw her hands around his neck and hugged him.

"Daddy, you're okay!" she yelled as she hugged him. Johnny smiled and hugged her back. Daisy had a tear roll from her eye down her face. It was a tear of joy.