Chapter 5: Fireman's Olympics And Spot

"Gage, I have bad news for you. The Fireman's Olympics are coming up," Chet said from across the room. He was looking at the announcement board. It had been a week since the accident.

"So? I'm not doing it. Like I told you and Roy before, it would take me a long time to get back in shape," he said while he rinsed off the dish he had in his hand. Daisy was helping him by drying them off.

"The Galloping Greyhound would be able to run this in no time," Chet joked.

"The Galloping Greyhound?" Daisy asked looking at Johnny.

"Don't ask. Chet, I'm not going to do it. Besides, I'll probably have plans," Johnny lied. Daisy looked at Chet and smiled.

"I'll make you a deal. If you enter, I'll sing the National Anthem there. Deal?" Daisy asked. She knew she had him cornered. Johnny thought about it for a minute.

"Fine, but if anyone starts calling me The Galloping Greyhound, I'm going to back out." Daisy chuckled at Johnny then went back to drying the dishes. The tones went off when they were halfway done.

"Station 51, Traffic accident. Intersection on Whitaker and Fern. Timeout 12:57."

"Station 51, 10-4, KMG 365." Everyone ran to their places as Captain Stanley spoke into the radio. The trucks rolled out of the station and headed to the wreck.
@@@@@
"Daisy, check on the car on the bottom," Johnny said heading to another car. Daisy nodded and headed to the car. It was a bad wreck. One car was on top of the other and another had flipped and landed several yards from where the wreck happened.

"No pulse," Daisy said with knots in her stomach. Johnny nodded in understanding. Daisy ran to the next car to check for the victim's pulse. Again, there wasn't one. Daisy said a silent prayer for the families then left to help Johnny. "There wasn't a pulse there either. Do you need me to help you?"

"Yeah. There's a toddler stuck in the back. You're the only one small enough to get back there," Johnny said as Daisy nodded. She climbed into the car and worked her way back to the little girl. She could hear the little girl crying as she got closer.

"Mommy!" the girl cried out. Daisy was almost there.

"Just hold on. I'm almost there," she said as she got closer. When she got to the girl, she picked her up and held her like she did when Ashlyn got hurt. Johnny got the driver out and was treating them, so Captain Stanley helped Daisy get the little girl out. Daisy passed the little girl to Captain Stanley. He then took the girl and laid her down next to the driver. Daisy jumped out of the car. She ran over to the girl to make sure he was okay. The girl only had a few cuts on her face, arms, and legs, so Daisy cleaned them and bandaged them up. When she was done fixing the girl up, the girl hugged Daisy around the neck. Daisy smiled and hugged her back then helped her into the ambulance.
@@@@@
Back at Rampart, Roy was starting to improve. He was finally able to get around. When Daisy and Johnny came in when they were finished with little girl, he was sitting up in his bed finishing his lunch with Joanne helping him out. "Hey guys. Where have you two been?" he asked when they came in the door.

"We just got back from a rescue," Daisy said. She didn't want to mention it was wreck just in case he would have flashbacks. Johnny had them when they got on scene.

"Oh. I heard about the Fireman's Olympics. Are you doing it, Johnny?" he asked to change the subject.

"Yeah. Daisy and I made a deal. I would race if she sang the National Anthem," Johnny said.

"That's cool. You'll do great. I still remember when Johnny brought his guitar that time and you sang while he played," Roy said smiling at the memory.

"I remember that! Those were the good ole days," Daisy said with a laugh. There was a knock on the door and Dixie came in.

"Daisy, Ashlyn is on the phone. She said something about a dog."

"A dog? I better go see what she wants," Daisy said running out the door. Joanne laughed.

"I remember having stuff like that happen when our kids were that age," she said still laughing. Daisy came back in a few minutes later shaking her head.

"What was that all about?" Johnny asked.

"Rose took Ashlyn to the park. Ashlyn saw someone giving away puppies. To sum it all up, we have a Dalmatian puppy named Spot. She wants to bring him by the station for us to see."

"Oh joy. Well, we better get going. We'll check on you again later, Roy. See ya," Johnny said heading out the door.
@@@@@
Back at the station, Rose brought Ashlyn to show Daisy and Johnny the puppy. It was a six week old Dalmatian puppy with a black spot around its eye. Daisy fell in love with it while Johnny just thought of the prices of dog food. Daisy held the little puppy like a baby for a few minutes then handed him back to Ashlyn when the tones went off. Ashlyn waved bye to Johnny and Daisy as they pulled out of the bay in the squad.