Chapter 7: Minor Setback

An hour later, we decided to find a place to hunker down until we know our next move; the problem was that we can't go too deep into town because if Cash easily sent his men to the airport, then it's safe to say that he has eyes on the streets too. The only option is to spend the night in a nearby hotel; now I'm sitting in the lobby with the others as Kai argues with the desk clerk. From what I can tell, all the rooms are booked, but Kai isn't having that.

"I know it's a risk going deeper into town, but it's not like we have a choice right now; this hotel is out of rooms and not quite my taste," Leslie says; she dips her hand into the mint candy bowl on the desk before us and begins snacking on them. "Yeah, you're right," I get out of my seat and walk to the desk. "Babe, I think we should find another hotel. We're all hungry and desperate for some sleep so let's leave," I encouraged. "What? No, it's too dangerous, especially at this hour," Kai looks at the dude and says, "Come on, we just need one room and a bed, then we're good." "I am terribly sorry, sir but there's nothing I can do at the moment; the rest of the rooms are reserved," the clerk replies.

"Yeah, but by one person, it's not like he's gonna be in all of them all at once. Can't you call the guy and ask him to give up a room?" Kai asks, "I have already, sir. He's not interested in sparing a room,". "Come on, Kai. We're wasting time," I said, my eyes diverting to the screen on the wall behind the desk. There was a news scroll about the incident at the airport. The problem is, they're showing security footage of what took place; close-ups of all of our faces were shown clear as day. I give Kai's hand a slight tap before motioning to look at the TV, he turns his attention to it, and his face drops when he realizes what it is talking about.

The clerk turned around and looked at the tv as information about us was playing before turning back to us; this time, he had a concerned look on his face. Suddenly, Kai pulls out his aims at the man, "Hands up." The clerk quickly complied, but he seemed a little too calm for my liking, "Woah Kai, what the hell are you doing!?" Luke asks. His voice overlaps with the voice of the others while they ponder and argue as to why Kai took his gun out, "Put the fucking gun down and let's go!" Armani yells. I get on the tip of my toes and look over the desk, by the phone was a button and a now red blinking light. I was right, "He already activated the silent alarm," I said. "He'll be able to ID us," Kai states. "It doesn't matter, this place has cameras everywhere now let's go,", "Fuck this," Leslie said before getting up and grabbing her purse.

I snatch the gun out of Kai's hand and grabbed his hand, "We're leaving" I said whilst dragging him towards the exit. We all get outside to the sound of police sirens in the distance, "Well this couldn't have gone any worse," Luke sighed, "What are we gonna do?" Marcy queried. "We'll find a parking lot or something and sleep in the cars," Kai replied, "Uh uh, anything but that," Leslie says. "Well you're welcome to sleep under a bridge with a newspaper for a cover as far as I'm concerned,",  Kai and I get into our car with me in the driver's seat and  Marcy and Armani in the passenger which is a bit weird since they're supposed to be riding with Leslie and Luke but who cares. "Any particular reason why you guys chose to ride with us?" I asked as I started the car, "Leslie and Luke are dying to fuck each other, might as well let them have the car to themselves," Armani replied. Well, that explains it. "And where are we gonna find a place?", "I don't know, just keep driving and I'll tell you if we're going too deep" Kai replied. "Okay," I decided to steer the car onto the lower lane that goes to the outer skirts of the city while Luke's and Leslie's car followed behind us.

Kai had his arm resting against the car window with his head in his palm, " You mind telling me what the hell was that back there?" I question. "Nothing, just a bit stressed" he replied, "About?". "We just got here and everything's gone to shit already, I just wanna get this over with so we can get back home to V", "I understand, I miss her too" I place my hand on Kai's thigh. "What the fuck are you doing?" he asks, "You're now my passenger princess," I said with a little giggle. He smacks my hand away and returns his head to his palm, we drive around for a good while until we found a great spot in the back parking lot of a car wash. I take off the small blouse that I had on and climb into Kai's lap, I lay against his warm, bare chest so that we could keep each other warm with our body heat. Yes, I kept my bra on. Kai pulls his suit jacket over our bodies and cuddles my body, "You know what I just now realize?" I ask. "What?" Kai inquired. "We lost all our luggage", "Well I see that as sort of a blessing cause now I can spoil you with new clothes," Kai says. Well, he is not wrong. "Yeah but I put the Kryotz dagger in my suitcase,", Kai lets out a long, tiring sigh and then says, "We're only human, mistakes are common amongst all of us". He's right, maybe it's safer in the police's hands. I turn my head to the left to see Luke's and Leslie's car wobbling back and forth with the windows fogged up. "Damn, they're really going at it," I mumble, Kai turns his head to the left before letting out a small laugh. 

"How long do you think it'll take to reach Pluto's gate?" I ask, "About two days, and that's if everything goes our way. Best case scenario, a day and a half" kai replies. "Can't we just teleport there?", "No, our magic can't cover that much of a distance. Plus who knows what'll happen if we use our magic too close to it, we could be teleported into the gate or the portal could suck us in,". "Yeah, I just wanna find a way to speed things up somehow. I miss our bed, V, normal problems that couples have-", "I'm sorry but can yall have that conversation some other time?" Armani requests, I completely forgot that he and Marcy were in the backseat because of how quiet they are. "Sorry," Kai says, "Just put a lid on it, the both of you". This brings me back to the times when Armani would walk in on me and Kai, he's kinda doing the same thing except he's interrupting our conversation.